[amibroker] Re: Historical Fundamental Data

Hello Joe,

Thanks to you and also treliff for jumping in and putting some
weight on the oars; we have moved a little further up the stream.

I think there will be a lot more questions about the subject when
the SQL plug-in comes out.
It is all new to me, as it will be to most others.
Prior to this I couldn't find a retail program that would allow me
to use fdata inputs in formulas.
Of course, I haven't tried every single program e.g I bypassed
Tradestation as it is 'trading platform' based and since 9/11 USA
regulators have tightened up on foreign investors and TS no longer
accepts accounts from US non-residents.
Prior to this I did my funda analysis by manually entering data to
Xcel, and that was for the Aussie market only.

So for the list of sites I have posted there are a lot of questions
to be answered and trefill's question is one of the more important
ones.

'Will an AAII subscription truly enable me to pour all past data
into a .csv file?'

It is a question equally as relevant to all the sites.

The reason I posted the list in the first place was because the
inititial reaction of many would be to go straight for the AAII
version or perhaps similar sources.
By questioning a little further perhaps we will find about the pros
and cons of each site in advance, and in some cases, save ourselves
some time and money.
There are also going to be additional problems with f databases
compared to price databases; price only comprises 6 fields
(OHLCVOI), the fields/formats are standard across all providers,
data is precisely time dependent, data is continuous and histories
are complete and deep in most cases i.e apples = apples almost every
time.
The opposite applies to fdata in all five areas.

Re your comments.

No it is not more than we need to know.
It is spot on.

So far, as I understand it, AAII has 100-200 data fields available
with varying number of years available for each.
The screening software will export in a suitable format for AB but
it will not export the database in its entirety in one step.
AB users would need to export,say, 5-10 segments of the database
separately and then join them together if they wanted one database.
Alternatively they could just keep them as,say, 10 separate SQL
bases.

If this is correct, it leaves us with a big question mark over the
use of the keys (what are they and what are they for) and also the
timing of the updates (weekly/monthly are always lagging updates).
There is also a minor question of whether the database will always
be 7yrs/8qtrs or is it growing each year?

The files re this topic are at the Fundamental Data folder; menu at
the top left corner of this page>files?fundamental data.

I think this will take users to it:

If you can post a .csv of one table downloaded for as many years as
you can get, with the relevant key, that would be great.
Even screenshots pasted into Word would do.
That would be service 'above and beyond the call of duty' and enough
for anyone contemplating fdata use and AAII in particular.

>From there interested users should move to their own trial via the
money back guarentee.

I have posted a text file there that I am using to keep track of all
fdata providers of any kind.

Regards,

BrianB2.

http://www.aaii.com/stockinvestor/intro/overview/statementcomp.cfm

> > Brian.
> >
> > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "treliff" <treliff@> wrote:
> >>
> >> Thanks to everyone sharing their insights on fundamental data
> >> collection. A small contribution:
> >>
> >> Those interested only in:
> >>
> >> Shares out
> >> Float
> >> Short interest
> >> Insider ownership
> >> Institutional ownership
> >>
> >> may consider shortsqueeze.com. At $28 they allow access to their
> >> historical data (starting only mid 2004) in XL format.
> >>
> >> ... and a small request:
> >>
> >> In joining the search for historical funda's I found AAII most
> > likely
> >> to indeed have this ability by their Data Exporting feature:
> >>
> >> " All of the fields found in Stock Investor Pro can be exported
in
> >> variety of formats, including Excel & Lotus spreadsheets, ASCII
> > tab-
> >> and comma-delimited formats, and dBase format. "
> >>
> >> But does this indeed include ALL historicals? Daily, weekly,
> > monthly,
> >> at whichever frequency each field was updated in the past?
> >>
> >> I'm very suspicious and they don't have a trial. Suspicious
> > because
> >> the habit of kicking out the previous value and simply replacing
> > it
> >> with the new one seems to be the norm in fundaland (QP, tbsp,
> > zacks,
> >> reuters, stockwiz etc etc... and I'm afraid many of the sites
> > Brian
> >> has listed).
> >>
> >> So can anyone confirm (Mike perhaps, who has a subscription),
for
> >> example re. short interest (or any other fundamental field):
will