[amibroker] Re: Automating AA results handling (w/o Batman)

Dave & Fred,

I was little confused at why I was singled out as a "Firefox" user.
I am assuming this is a reference to one of the browsers I use.
Thing is, I don't normally use this browser when surfing Yahoo, so
how did Fred know I use this software? Is there some kind of privacy
violation going on here? What information is Fred's software
collecting about my PC, and sending back to Fred? Or is he for some
reason looking at TJ's Yahoo user logs, if that's at all possible?

That said, yes, thank you Fred for your help. I have to admit though
that having been a technical writer in the past, I could easily
rewrite your user documentation for the better. Not having used
software like Batman before (is there something out there already
resembling this?), I found the documentation written for users who
are familiar with that specific territory (same goes for IO,
actually). It is not written for users who are new to that specific
terrain. That said, I am finding it easier and less time consuming
to use other scripts to automate the simpler tasks that I need
automated.

Great, you wrote the software! It's free, too! Wonderful! But
remember it's completely useless to a large number of us who can't
read your mind. Please take that into consideration when writing
training materials for your own software. I know writing training
materials is not fun, it's a pain in the azz, but you gotta setp up
and do the right thing here.

Static screen shots of the software in action is no substitute for a
video tutorial such as those produced for AB, for example. Of
course, clear, step-by-steo written explanations are always very
helpful. Detailed explanations of what I am looking at as far as
screenshots is also very helpful.

Free does not always = perfectly usable. Let me be the first to lay
my neck on the line to say this. I do this not for the purpose of
making anyone feel bad. This is to motivate you very helpful
denizens of the AB world to go the extra mile so we can actually
understand how helpful you really are. If I can't use your software
because the documentation doesn't make the training time efficient,
I will never see you as the helpful person you probably are.

AB would clearly suck without clear documentation. Same goes for any
software that's not entirely intuitive to new users. If it doesn't
pass the monkey test, please don't think it's finished. Imagine
getting a 40-year-old woman on your 18th birthday, with no English
manual to go along with her! Pure frustration!!!

I have planted the seed of self-consciousness, which was my goal
here. I have nothing more to say on this topic. Read, digest, and
flame away...

Thanks for the great contributions, and keep on truckin',

Brian

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "MarketMonk777" <dlittner@xxx>
wrote:

> Brian, that other user is me.  A big thanks to Fred for going the
extra mile
> and providing support for his great software (that is free too!).
>
> What a great community.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave

On Behalf
> Of Fred
> Sent: Thursday, March 16, 2006 8:54 AM
> To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [amibroker] Re: Automating AA results handling (w/o
Batman)

> Brian,
>
> Assuming your AB Directory is c:\program files\amibroker\ then you
> should be able to run BatMan with the following command ...
>
> mshta.exe "c:\program files\amibroker\batman.hta"
>
> This has been tried succesfully by another FireFox user.  Assuming
> it does run then the properties of the icon can be changed to the
> above and it should run from there as well.
>
> --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Brian" <brianrichard99@> wrote:
> >
> > So, here is what I have so far. I am weeding out what actually
> > works, from what does not work. One script works, another does
> not --
> >  which is why I am posting once more.
> >
> > This actually does clear all symbols within a specific
watchlist,
> [...]
> > ClearList = GetCategorySymbols(categoryWatchlist,
> > varWatchlistNumber);
> > for( i = 0; ( symC = StrExtract(ClearList, i) ) != ""; i++ )
> > {
> > CategoryRemoveSymbol( symC, categoryWatchlist,
> varWatchlistNumber );
> > }
> >
> > On the other hand, getting the tickers that appear in my AA
> results
> > window and putting them into the same watchlist that was just
> > cleared, is another story. I've tried numerous scripts. Here are
> > three original (scoured the archives) examples of what I have
> > tried... note that the conditions do not represent my
> > actual "Filter" conditions. I end up with the last ticker from
the
> > scanned watclist, which appears in the new watchlist (#63). No
> other
> > tickers are captured. What is wrong?
> >
> > /// ADD SYMBOLS TO WATCHLIST ///
> > Condition = LastValue( C > MA( C, 50 ) );
> > ticker = Name();
> > wlnumber = 1;
> > EnableScript("jscript");
> > <%
> > if( AFL("condition" ) )
> > {
> > AB = AFL.CreateObject("Broker.Application");
> > AB.Stocks( AFL("ticker" ) ).WatchListBits |= 1 << AFL
> ( "wlnumber" );
> > }
> > %>
> > Buy=0;
> > (Use View->Refresh All to refresh symbol list.)
> >
> > /// ADD SYMBOLS TO WATCHLIST ///
> > // the code adds symbols with last day volume > 100000
> > // to the watch list number 1
> > if( LastValue( V ) > 100000 )
> > {
> > CategoryAddSymbol( "", categoryWatchlist, 1 );
> > }
> >
> > /// ADD SYMBOLS TO WATCHLIST ///
> > ORigin=0;
> > destination=12;
> > CategoryRemoveSymbol( "", categoryWatchlist, destination );
> > Filter = InWatchList(ORigin) AND MACD()>0;
> > AddColumn(RSI(),"");
> > CategoryAddSymbol( WriteIf(Filter,Name(),"xyz"),
> categoryWatchlist,
> > 12 );
> > //Hit View->RefreshAll
> >

> > None of these last three scripts work. I've tried several
> variations
> > that make sense to me, but still do not work. Any ideas or
> examples?
> > Once I get something that works, I will post these in the AFL
> > library.
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> >
> > Brian
> >

> > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dan Clark" <dan_public@>
wrote:

> > > Brian,
> > >

> > > It doesn't erase the contents at once.  It removes each symbol
> in
> > the
> > > Watchlist.  I've been using this for months.
> > >

> > > In your case, it would be CategoryRemoveSymbol("",

tment+management+software&w2=Real+estate+investment+software&w3=Inves
> > > tment+p

roperty+software&w4=Software+support&w5=Real+estate+investment+analys
> > > is+soft

ware&w6=Investment+software&c=6&s=200&.sig=_XXUzbE9l5lGlZNcMu4KNQ>

> > > t=ms&k=Real+estate+investment+software&w1=Inve

stment+management+software&w2=Real+estate+investment+software&w3=Inve
> > > stment+

property+software&w4=Software+support&w5=Real+estate+investment+analy
> > > sis+sof

tware&w6=Investment+software&c=6&s=200&.sig=5_sgDczz3ArKGMtJ9tFSJA>
> > > estate

> > > t=ms&k=Investment+property+software&w1=Investm

ent+management+software&w2=Real+estate+investment+software&w3=Investm
> > > ent+pro

perty+software&w4=Software+support&w5=Real+estate+investment+analysis
> > > +softwa

re&w6=Investment+software&c=6&s=200&.sig=_N6zcwefgp4eg5n6oX5WZw>
> > > property

> > > t=ms&k=Software+support&w1=Investment+manageme

nt+software&w2=Real+estate+investment+software&w3=Investment+property
> > > +softwa

re&w4=Software+support&w5=Real+estate+investment+analysis+software&w6
> > > =Invest

> > > t=ms&k=Real+estate+investment+analysis+softwar

e&w1=Investment+management+software&w2=Real+estate+investment+softwar
> > > e&w3=In

vestment+property+software&w4=Software+support&w5=Real+estate+investm
> > > ent+ana

lysis+software&w6=Investment+software&c=6&s=200&.sig=GmF8PlAJASx0wrSa

24 Hours. Commission-Free.