Re: [amibroker] Data Providers - premiumdata.net

Mike

I run JustData at the moment: have done for two years.
Am trialling Premiumdata. Slightly dearer.
Both provide Metastock format.
This is '"fiddly" to set up for all first time users with Amibroker but this is the same for any MS data supplier, is once only for each database.
JustData can also export to ASCII ,which files are more Readable.
By this I mean that unless you have the MS downloader you may not be able to read which tickers are in your MS database, if you wish manually adjust,delete etc.
JustData is more complex software: so another learning curve.
But has got more options such as choosing to export with/without reconstructions/dividends etc.
Probably Premiumdata is more straightforward.
Support for both, I think, is equally good.
Justdata also provides some fundamentals in its own format. I will trial this over the next few weeks because if we can export this to ASCII as per website,...

http://www.justdata.com.au/Training/Tutorials/Features/ascii_format.htm

then we should be able to read that, including GICS information, with Amibroker, but I would need help with that.
Overall I think premiumdata is simpler, if less configurable, and you would spend less time looking at data management.
Their indices have volume, if you use this. Justdata don't.
Another thing with Premiumdata is delisted tickers get saved in a delisted folder, so for backtesting you could access these.
Justdata allows removal of delisted tickers, but you cannot easily save or retrieve them.

Just the way I see these two providers.

Regards
ChrisB

Mike Mann <mikemann@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I am trying to evaluate this provider - and wondered if anyone is
using them.  They run metastock format.  Their instructions for
linking to AMIBroker involve a long process of setting up each
folder in the data base individually (one time only at data base
setup....) which looks to me to be a day long project that I might
screw up several times in multiple steps to get it done.  Does
anyone use their service and have shortcuts to their setup figured
out.

I am free trialing this provider, because they seem to be very
economical as well as providing a number of custom folders by index
components as well as by exchange.  I am looking at sector rotation
and correlation by sector components of indexes that don't have
associated ETF's.

They also have EOD data for futures and commodities...........

Looks like a great provider - just want to bypass any errors in data
base setup that I might introduce with the long setup process.

Thank you,  Mike

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

Yahoo! Mail

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS