Re: [amibroker] Re: Seasonality

In order to study seasonality you should use a monthly
bar chart and make statistics on monthly tops and
bottoms.

DEFINITIONS
1. When a monthly bar breaks decisively the bottom of
the prior month(*), the prior month is a top (eg March
bottom breaks the low of Feb)
2. Then you would add 1 to March Counter for Tops.
And start over again.

At the end you should obtain 3 arrays, 12 integers
each. One integer for each month.

Array 1 -- number of TOPS occurred in each month
Array 2 -- number of BOTS occurred in each month
Array 3 -- number of CHANGE in TREND occuured in each
month = ARRAY 1+ ARRAY 2.

Array 1 to 3 are your seasonality study.

TIME SPAN
You should span your statistics over the whole range
of data, and also consider lesser period of, say
6years each.
You should normally see that the whole range
statistics has similar tops/bottoms distribution as
the shorter range ones.

(*)You could change this definition and requires the
the market declines two consecutive months (breaking
two consecutive times the bottom of the prior month)
before you declare it top.

IMPLEMENTATION IN AB
Building and plotting the arrays in Amibroker is easy.
Recognizing tops and bottoms could add complexity to
the algorhythm because the market will sometimes be in
a narrow range where you cannot directly apply the
rule given above.

REFERENCE
All above comes from Gann. You might find examples of
this in "How To Make Profits In Commodities"

Regards

Luigi