[amibroker] Re: Initializing Variables once at the start of the program

TradeStation easy language is processed from to top to bottom a bar
at a time ...

AmiBroker AFL is processed from top to bottom with each statement
being executed ONCE and ONLY ONCE ... NOT ONCE PER BAR ...

Unless you build your own Do / While / For Loops and subscript the
ARRAYS then typically each statement works on the entire ARRAY ...

For example ...

If I write the AFL

BS = Ref(H, -1) * 1.001;
SS = Ref(L, -1) * 0.999;

Buy = C > BS;
Sell = C < SS;

Then each of the above statements will be evaulated once ... not once
per bar ...

The first statement will cause an array to be built with each value
along the array being 1.001 * The previous bars high.  Once this
statement is executed or evaluated once it will never be executed or
evaluated again.

The second statement will cause an array to be built with each value
along the array being 0.999 * The previous bars low.

The third and fourth statement evaluate whether buys and sells take
place over the entire history of data that is being looked at ...
again by being evaluated ONCE ... NOT ONCE PER BAR ...

I came from TS as well ... years and years of it ... it is at first
difficult to visualize the concept of array arithmetic but in time
you'll get used to it ...

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "clarusinnovation" <mfishburn@xxxx>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to initialize a variable CurrentBar at the start of my
program
> once to 0 - meaning I haven't processed this bar yet. (and a lot of
> other variables I want too)
>
> I don't know how or where to put the variables so they won't get
> initialized every time through the program. I want to keep their
> values as I climb up through the bars.
>
> each bar that counts up, I want to increment this counter.
>
> I tried StaticVariables, but they don't seem to work. How do I
> initialize them ONCE and then increment them from there ?
>
> Please don't tell me to read the manual, I have been up and down
it,
> reading Understanding AFL, it is taking me days to do the simplest
> things...... and it isn't working for me.  I came from Tradestation
> and I could understand bar flow, with Ami I don't.
>
> Please just tell me what to do, and where to put the code.
>
> I tried initalizing the variable in a #Include_ONCE file, that
didn't
> work.
>
> Thanks a lot, it is very frustrating.
>
> Mark