[amibroker] Re: AB optimized for dual core processor?

"Sometime in the future" ?

Is End of March no longer the target date for this ?

Do you have any feel for the typical percentage run time reductions
that would be experienced in optimization using dual core .vs. a
similar speed single core ?

> Hello,
>
> It was explained already a couple of times since October 2005
(search the archives).
> In short: if you are buying new hardware buy dual core machine. Why?
> Even if apps do not use multiple threads, running 2 or more apps
(who runs only 1 app on Windows ???)
> is way smoother on dual core. You will never see system "freezing"
when some program
> is busy processing.  For this alone it is worth buying.
>
> As for AB - it was discussed earlier. Most parts use single thread.
> Some RT plugins use multiple threads (eSignal, IQFeed), AmiQuote
uses multiple threads,
> list controls use additional thread.
>
> I was making experiments on parallelization of AFL engine itself
but it turned
> out that single thread is faster because tasks are short, can be
highly-pipelined using proper
> code writing (removing jumps from assembly code) and no time is
wasted on context switching
> and thread synchronization.
>
> The only part that is suitable for SMP is optimization and it will
be done sometime in the future.

> Best regards,
> Tomasz Janeczko
> amibroker.com

Is that
> > correct? So I guess my question is - is AB a multithreaded SMP
aware program
> > or if not, is it likely to be one soon? Actually, I have no idea
if AB is
> > even the type of program that needs to be a 'multithreaded SMP
aware
> > program'. I am just trying to figure out whether I should go for
an AMD X2
> > 3800 dual core processor. I multitask a lot and I want to
optimize it.

> > Nik

I am
> > asking
> >> without really understand the question - it is my impression
that the
> >> software you are using has to be optimized for dual core before
dual core
> >> will make any difference for you. I am not a tech-head as you
can tell.

> >> Any help is appreciated.
> >>
> >> Nik
> >>

> >> Please note that this group is for discussion between users only.
> >>
> >> To get support from AmiBroker please send an e-mail directly to
> >> SUPPORT {at} amibroker.com
> >>
> >> For other support material please check also:
> >> http://www.amibroker.com/support.html
> >>

> >> Yahoo! Groups Links

> > SUPPORT {at} amibroker.com

> > Yahoo! Groups Links