[amibroker] Re: How can AddToComposite generate Null values?

Both Graham and Nathan, I took me some time to figure out why this
excellent idea doesn't work. It all applies to an options database
and details would make a dreary read. It boils down to this:

Symbols with no activity or price-change are not reported (data hole
in ASCII import).

IIf statement in ATC is a selector: there are
Symbols_I_do_wanna_count and Symbols_I_do_NOT_wanna_count.

Say I want to add up combined Open Interest:

AddToComposite( IIf(Symbol_I_do_wanna_count, OI, Null), .....

Now on a certain date, *NONE* of the Symbols_I_do_wanna_count have
data provided (all have data hole). However some of the
Symbols_I_do_NOT_wanna_count *DO* have data. When ATC hits one of
those, it immediately creates a value for that day, and not Null as
expected, but zero.

I need Null for Foreign to fixup the data hole (OI hasn't actually
changed). I cannot manipulate Foreign into fixing all zero values
because some days combined OI actually *IS* zero.

Y'see that if I'd use -ve or other out-of-range value instead, that
would distort the calculation on regular days, because it would add -
ve for every Symbol_I_do_NOT_wanna_count.

Whacky problem, thnx again for thinking along.

Meanwhile got the idea to incorporate IsNull() data hole check in ATC
itself, but it feels like a slippery slope. Would much prefer ATC to
simply generate Null value on command.

Any additional ideas welcome.

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Graham <kavemanperth@xxxx> wrote:

> Perthaps a negative value instead of the zero, of course depends if
> you get -ve normally
> Or an extrordinary large negative number, like -10000000
> Then substitute when you are reading te composite
>

> --
> Cheers
> Graham
> AB-Write >< Professional AFL Writing Service
> Yes, I write AFL code to your requirements
> http://e-wire.net.au/~eb_kavan/ab_write.htm
>

> On 1/23/06, treliff <treliff@xxxx> wrote:
> > Good call Nathan, but nope that won't do it for me. Point is that
> > there are "genuine" zero values in the resulting ATC ticker that I
> > would NOT want converted to Null (the example I gave was just a
dummy
> > to illustrate the challenge).
> >
> > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "WALTON, Nathan"
> > <nathan.walton@xxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > After calling Foreign:
> > >
> > > eg
> > >

> > > x = Foreign("~nulltest", "O");
> > >

> > > Can you simply use:
> > >

> > > x = iif(x == 0, Null, x);
> > >

> > > This will substitute Null values for '0's
> > >
> > > ________________________________
> > >
> > > From: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > > Thanks Graham, but that doesn't work. When I use 0 (zero) then
ATC
> > > creates zero value as expected, but I need it to create empty
> > (Null)
> > > value.
> > >
> > > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Graham <kavemanperth@xxxx>

> > > 1) , "~nulltest" , "X");

> > > {empty} ).

> > recognized
> > > by

> > > 1) , "~nulltest" , "X");

> > only.

> > > Please note that this group is for discussion between users
only.

> > > SUPPORT {at} amibroker.com

> > > *      To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
subject=Unsubscribe>

> > > *      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms
of
> > > Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

> > SUPPORT {at} amibroker.com

> > Yahoo! Groups Links