RE: [amibroker] Re: Advance/Decline line

Barry,

I see what you mean. Googling for Advance Decline Line only turns up the ratio. A search of AB help turns up the same description and refers the user to the ADLine function. Something is amiss here as data is clearly needed and ADLine has no inputs for data (as you observed).

Needs input from the master, TJ on his return.

From AB HELP:

Advance-Decline line (AD-Line)

Line measuring advances and declines that reflects market breadth. In its simplest form ADLine is a summation over time of the net daily difference between the number of advancing issues and the number of declining issues. AmiBroker uses slightly improved formula which takes into account also number of unchanged issues. The exact AFL formula for AmiBroker's ADLine is:

Difference = ( AdvIssues() - DecIssues() )/ ( UncIssues() + 1 );
DiffSqrt = IIF( Difference > 0, sqrt( Difference ), - sqrt( - Difference ) );
ADLine = Cum( DiffSqrt );

This is a classical indicator which tends to give a good reading of the overall strength of the market. A break in the A/D line usually proceeds a break in prices. Look for non-confirmation and divergence.

See also AFL Function reference: AFL Function: adline()

--

Terry