RE: [amibroker] Discussion board Vs Yahoo

That is true.  But I find the fact that you can create forums by category to be rather convenient and powerful.  For example, If I care only to view the “How-To” (http://www.amibroker.org/boards/viewforum.php?f=20&sid=1e01474fa80d539dafb2769d2816ba5b) articles or view posts related to only “Scripting” (http://www.amibroker.org/boards/viewforum.php?f=16&sid=1e01474fa80d539dafb2769d2816ba5b) , I know exactly where to go.  With an email list, that is not easy to find, as everything is pretty much lumped into one flat view and you must search to filter out any topics you are not interested.

Also, the search capabilities are also fairly decent for the message board and you do not need a third party software.  You can search all boards or only a specific category or sub category.

If you wanted to see everything, you can, as it’s easy to see what topics or forums are active and what the latest posts are in those forums.  If you only wanted to track a certain topic and do not care about other “noise” you can also do that, although I think this feature may need to be enabled.  I know the software they are using for the message boards allow it (this software is used by many other companies that setup “community” or support boards).  Further, you have the ability to send private message to other forum members without having to reveal your email if you choose to.

Lastly, for board operators, important discussion topics can be “stickied” and will always appear at the top of that forum.  What that means is that a forum can contain important topics, notices or other reference posts which can always be found at the top of the forum.  So for instance, in the “Scripting” forum, the AFL formula reference can be stickied so that it will always be available at the top of that forum as a reference.

All that said, the board is there for those who care to use, and yahoo is available for those who are to use it.  I prefer the boards, others prefer email.  The only issue I have is that I don’t think the boards are monitored as much as the email list for support related topics…so I tend to ask questions that should be directed to AmiBroker support here in the email list.