Re: [amibroker] Newe User - Some General Questions : )

Hi Toe,

If you want a good comparison, check for the comments Dan wrote in evaluation of both TC and QP this past summer (look about the end of July, first part of August, thread subject: Report on Quotes Plus Data, or search for Quotes Plus).  For several reasons he switched to QP3 from TC2005.  I continue to use both.

I'm a TA trader (swing and intraday), I trade for a living, and do some sorts/explorations on fundamental data (usually on the weekends).  I use end of day data feeds from QP and TC2005 (TC also has intraday updating, ~ 15-20 min delayed), and intraday data feeds from eSignal, and (via QuoteTracker) Prophet.net and several brokerages.  Intraday I mostly rely on the eSignal data to feed AB (trades and watchlists) and do some scans on large watchlist using TC2005 delayed.  I have multiple computers, multiple broadband connections and maintain multiple data bases (both end of day and intraday) for AB.  But to respond to your questions:

1st: If I do a FA scan or sort in QP3/TC2005, can the results be imported into AB, so I can then run TA over those results? Yes -- but for the most part, I don't know why you would want to do so --  AB explorations run much faster than either QP or TC.  You can access most (if not all) of the fundamental data fields in QP using the "GetExtralData()" command.  TC has virtually no fundamentals exposed to AB.  But yes, ticker lists generated from any source can be imported into AB watchlists from .lst, .tls, .txt, or .csv files with a simple Import procedure.

Conversely, if I approached things via TA 1st in AB, can I export results from AB into either QP3 or TC2005 for further FA?  Yes, you can export explorations or scan results to  .lst, .tls, .txt, or .csv files with a simple export procedure to create a list to import elsewhere.  If you just want to create a watchlist to track in QP, TC or Excel, certainly that can be done.  I rarely use the chart or other programs that come with QP as AB "does it all" for me so QP (and for the most part) TC2005 are merely data feeds any more.

Is there any validity in purchasing *both* products given the redundancy of many features in each if I had both?  This is idiosyncratic -- I do, as each has data and features that I find useful (intraday updates in TC so I can quickly scan larger stock watchlists, albeit delayed, fundamentals in QP not available in TC, etc).  The nominal cost of 25-30 a month is a fraction of my trading expenses (several trade commissions) and I believe they easily pay for themselves -- can't say that about other data vendors I've used, however.  It is no problem to have both databases on the same machine, to export/import scan/exploration results between the two (e.g., I scan for low float issues in QP, then send to a watchlist in the TC supported AB database to scan against because TC doesn't provide float data).  As to program features, I really don't use either QP or TC programs much -- perhaps I'll look at TC occasionally for a fast intraday update to a PCF/EZ Scan generated list.

2nd: I am an EOD swing style trader, but would like access on some occasions to *intraday* data for optimal entries and exits.  Is there a way that this data can be obtained easily and cheaply for those times I need it, for certain equities?  Depends on what you want and how you trade -- I time my entries on the shorter trades, and somewhat for the longer swings as well.  I use  intraday updates from TC2005 for delayed data (to update a larger database for general scans) and other real-time data vendors (for trade, breakout and other watchlist updates) .   I do not use (or recommend) "free" data, as many years ago I found that it was not reliable enough to risk my trading money on (especially Quote.com's stuff).  It sounds trite, but Robert Heinlein's TANSTAAFL (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch) applies.  But it's up to you.  You might want to check out Medved's QuoteTracker (http://www.quotetracker.com/) as a means to track issues and import data cheaply/freely to AB.  As noted above, I can use intraday data from Prophet.net data ( http://www.prophet.net/), PCQuote, and data from my brokers in QT and then access it in AB (via the QT plug-in).  QT supports a number of free and inexpensive data vendors and brokers (see: http://www.quotetracker.com/qsources.shtml ), including some in Australia.  Note as well that if you want intraday data, you will want to get the RT version of AB (AB Pro), not the standard.

I don't really understand what "backfill" is, but I suspect that has something to do with what I'm asking here...  Backfill is simply getting data for periods prior to the time you start accessing the data (whether in AB or some other program).  It is data vendor specific.  Some data vendors provide it (and in varying amounts and periods), others do not (see the QT data vendor list for examples).  ESignal (www.esignal.com) provides 10 days of tick and 120 days of 1 minute historic intraday data.  Unless you have been accumulating data for a particular issue, get a vendor that provides it if you need it.  You need it if you want to look at intraday support and resistance, pivot points, volume at price, etc. to help time your entry.  If you've had the stock on a watchlist you've been tracking and accumulating intraday data (in AB there's no limit to the amount you can accumulate), then you may not need it.  If you like to trade a stock you've done no workup on but hear that there's some news that's moving it, or want to look at recent intraday history of a stock that you've identified from an end of day scan and added to AB, you need it.  Again, you will need AB Pro.

3rd:  It is essential to me that GICS breakdowns into Sector/Industry Group/Industry etc are available and updated in whatever DB I use. Who maintains this - the data supplier or AB?  I'm not certain what you mean by GICS breakdowns.  To me industry and sector assignments are a secondary issue, not essential, so I've not spent much time on it.  I trade patterns principally, but do look for them in Sectors.  Generally, if your data vendor does it (both QP and TC have their systems of assignment) it saves you al lot of time, but you can set up your own in AB.  You might read Dan's comments or ask him as he is much more attuned to this issue, and there was a discussion with in the past couple months on sector assignment issues.

4th: I realise that QP3 and TC2005 only provide their data for the US stock markets.  Does anybody know where similar (ie GICS-sorted, OHLC and key fundamentals) might be available for ASX (Australian) listed stocks?  Ask Graham or the other Aussies here and look in the files section for the ASX files.  ESignal does supply foreign exchange data, so do other data vendors.  I have no experience with any as I trade the US NASDAQ issues almost exclusively.  Try GTW - (Google the Web).

I would need such data to be usable in AB, and again, a cost effective solution would be preferred!  Is is possible to maintain you own ticker lists and somehow use them to gather free EOD data (eg: Yahoo) for use in AB, or is this not worth the effort given all of the GICS groupings and constant changes etc. Yes, you can set up and manage your own ticker list database and use a free data source in AB.  But repeat after me, " Cheap, Quick, Working" -- pick any 2, but you can't have all three (AB is the only exception I know of that proves this rule).  If it's Quick and Working, it's going to cost more, if it's Cheap and Working, it's going to take some time, and if it's Cheap and Quick, it won't work well.  My time is spent trading, not adjusting data bases (for splits, mergers, new tickers, ticker changes, dividends, etc.,  as well as maintaining assignments to Sectors, Industries, etc), so I'm quite willing to pay a data vendor to do that, provided they do.  QP and TC are worth it.
I am quite adept at writing complex excel formula, so I hope that a)the AFL is similar in construction and concept, and that b) I can contribute in a worthwhile manner here in the future!!  I'm not a programmer, not particularly adept (but moderately proficient) in excel, and I've been able to learn to program AFL.  IMHO, it's not hard.  Others are certainly better than I and there are some capabilities of AB that I've never bothered to learn, but the user group is a great community of sharing, Tomasz is a paragon of patience and exemplar of incredible user support, and (as Dan has eloquently explained at diverse times) AB is like an onion with layers of capability that can be peeled to suit any user's needs and abilities.  Welcome, good luck and do let us know what you come up with.

Peace and Justice   ---   Patrick

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS