Re: [amibroker] which system is the best ?Re: IB API can do everything?

You really MUST modify your first sentence to something like... "In MY OPINION, a good system..." or "For MY needs, a good system...".

You are stating your needs and requirements, and they don't match mine.  Please do not try to establish your requirements as laws of nature.

For my needs, number 2 and 3 are NOT required.  OTOH, 1) the ability to rigidly control the content of my indicators, 2) the ability to create my own symbols, and 3) a robust programming environment including an exposed API are MUST haves for ME!

I tried TradeStation about two years ago.  The marketing hype is of very high quality.  However, the product fell short in many ways.   Maybe the new version is better, but the hype fell short VERY quickly.

I use IB for trading.  As a Broker, I like them much better than Tradestation.   I use QuotesPlus for EOD data and IB for 1-minute data at the end of the day.   QuotesPlus EOD data meets my needs nicely.  I wish IB had up to 20 days of 1-minute data, but it's OK for now.

Regards,

Dan.
Thanks for all replies.

Basically, a good system sould have the capability to do 3 things:

1) back test
2) real time scan
3) auto trade

It's better if we can do all three things in one place. Amibroker is  very easy to
use and very flexible. However, it does not provide data and trade permission.
So we need to buy data from some where else. In addition, we have to wait till
the data are imported, then we can do the scan. Since all data are stting in the
local computer, it will take very long time to scan. I can use some filter to
exclude trash stocks, but i still need a good system to scan a database of ~
2000 stocks. It will take ~ 5 min in amibroker.

If the data are on the server of the broker, we can send a query with our own
codes and get back the result from the server. I guess this will be much
faster than load all data to local machine and do the scan.

After ask around about IB API, it seems like it does not support custermized
codes to do scan and autotrade.

Anyone knows about tradestation? From the introduction on their web, it
seems it can do all 3 things in one place. The only disadvantage is they
charge $100/month for their software. If you want to to real time scan with your
own codes, there is another $60/month.

I will also check the MateTader.

thanks

william

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Barry Seeger" <bseeger@xxxx> wrote:

> Graham,
>
> I think the answer to your question is that MetaTrader 3 and now 4 are
> programmable and come with a free data supply.
>

> I don't know if you would consider them as programmable as AB. I do know
> that the manual for MT3 was shockingly bad, and I understand that
> back-testing is poor and so the optimising available in MT4 is of highly
> dubious value.
>

> I would use AB in preference to MT any day, but for anyone who wants a
> charting package with free data, MT seems to be one.
>
> Barry
>
>   _____

On Behalf