[amibroker] (OT) Re: AmiBroker Support

As stated ... If you are trading fixed amounts then statistics
related to dollars might be equal or better, if not then see the
example I spelled out previously where dollar oriented calculations
are woefully misleading and the more trades there are the more
misleading the stats are.

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "RR" <stocks@xxxx> wrote:
> You can read about expectancy versus expectancy per dollar risked
in TYWTFF
> by Van Tharp pages 148 - 152.
>
> Expectancy per dollar risked gives you the truer picture of your
trading
> system.

On Behalf
> Of sebastiandanconia
> Sent: Saturday, September 03, 2005 10:26 AM
> To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [amibroker] (OT) Re: AmiBroker Support
>

> You know, Fred, I think you're right.  My example has major flaws
> that I didn't recognize and your example addresses them
> appropriately.  Sorry, and thanks for taking the time and effort.:)
>

> Luck,
>
> Sebastian
>

> --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Fred" <ftonetti@xxxx> wrote:
> > One can "look at it" any way one wants.
> >
> > Over a short period of time almost statistics are meaningless ...
> >
> > Let's look at a trader who over a longer period of time has a
75/25
> > win/loss ratio and starts w/$1000.  Let's assume he has 3 winning
> > trades of 10% each followed by a losing trade of 10% and then the
> > cycle repeats.
> >
> > After 100 trades he has $117,391 w/the average win being 2446.55
> > (10%) average loss being 2682.53 (10%) ...
> >
> > You prefer an expectancy calc of:
> >
> > 0.75 * 2446.55 - 0.25 * 2682.53 = 1163.90 i.e. < 1% of his equity
> >
> > or:
> >
> > 0.75 * 10 - 0.25 * 10 = 5% i.e. ~ $5869
> >
> > If we take the same example over 500 trades then we have an
> > expectancy that's around 0.1% using $ to the same 5% using %.
> >
> > The longer the example, the more out of whack this gets ...
> >

> > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "sebastiandanconia"
> > <sebastiandanconia@xxxx> wrote:
> > > Is it?  I'm not sure.
> > >
> > > Example:
> > >
> > > A trader has a system with a 50/50 win/loss ratio.  Starting
with
> > > $10,000, he has three losing trades in a row with each costing
> him
> > > 10% of his existing equity.  Three losses, each 10%, $1,000,
> $900,
> > > $810.  Average loss -10%, or (1000+900+810)/3 = $903.33.
> > >
> > > From his current equity of $7290, he has three winning trades
> that
> > > bring him back even to $10,000 (it's $9999.87, to be precise).
> > Each
> > > trade is a win of 11.111% of his existing equity,
> > > (809.99+899.99+999.90)/3 = $903.29.
> > >
> > > Using an expectancy formula calculated with percentage profit of
> > > winning and losing trades would lead him to believe he had an
> edge
> > of
> > > 1.111%, but he obviously doesn't since the average dollar amount
> of
> > > his wins and losses are virtually the same.
> > >
> > > Or if he took a larger hit of 30% on his first trade, bringing
> his
> > > equity down from $10,000 to $7,000 and then had a big win of
> 42.85%
> > > bringing him back even, he'd think he had a REALLY big edge when
> in
> > > reality the dollar amount of both trades were the same.
> > >
> > > Or am I looking at this the wrong way?  I'm not exactly a
> [...]

Help Sudanese refugees rebuild their lives through GlobalGiving.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/hjNroD/EbOLAA/cosFAA/GHeqlB/TM