Re: [amibroker] Re: AFL Example

Thomas
Most of that is in the ambroker help screens and in the help videos on
AB website

Create a new formula file in Workspace-Charts
Right click on the formula name in workspace
Select Insert Linked to create new chart
Select Edit to edit the AFL
Select Analysis to bring up AA window where yuo can scan/backtest/explore

You can also create the chart and bring up analysis window for the AFL
Edit window

In a nutshell, and simplified explanation
Scan - shows the buy/sell signals in AA results for the symbols and
date period selected in AA window
Explore - shows whateveer you have entered in the file for Addcolumn's
and filter=
Backtest will provide the results of mechanically trading the system
over the symbols and date period selected.

I can only emphasise that you need to read the help screens, and try
things as you go through the help. Do not expect to pick up AFL
overnight, like most pieces of software there is the easy answers to
basic usage, but there is always more under the surface for those
wanting more complex solutions. Of course the more complex you want to
get, the more it takes to learn.
As an example, I used to run seminars at work in usage of excel, and
what I tried to get across was that I am not teaching them how to use
excel, but showing them what some of the capabilities of what excel
can do for engineers. There is only so much that can be shown in 1
hour, let alone teach for people to retain the knowledge. It is up to
them to fiddle and learn.

--
Cheers
Graham

On 8/13/05, Thomas Eldridge <teldridge@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Graham
>
> I appreciate this Example AFL and was able to follow it through and
> understand it. Thank you for creating it.
>
> Now what do I do? Do I copy this .afl, in it's entirety, into my
> Formulas\Systems folder and use it for Scan, Backtest and Explore, and
> do I also copy it, in it's entirety, into my Formulas\BasicCharts and
> create a new chart Pane in a new Sheet in my Workspace?
>
> Could you also explain what is the difference between Scan, Backtest
> and Explore? And also Optimize? What would I use each of these for, or
> for what purpose?
>
> Thomas

">Put more honey in your pocket. (money matters made easy) Welcome to the Sweet Life - brought to you by One Economy</a>.</font>