Re: [amibroker] Re: Real Time Exploring.-- A Joke?

Hi bestbobleonard,

Monday, July 25, 2005, 2:55:34 AM, you wrote:

b> I was just asking if anyone had experience with real time b>
explorations?? (and the associated performance)

b> Bob

My experience so far with eSignal, which is ongoing, but which has
been rather brief to date:

Conditions: Subscribed for 200 symbols, and the database is actually
197 (apparently AB has some "overhead" that prevents absolutely full
use of the subscription without the data manager kicking in and
complaining about symbol count exceeding subscription).

When I run an exploration on the database described above, two things
appear to happen: 1) For the *first* exploration after opening AB and
setting up, it takes about 1 min. & 50 secs.  This is with "Wait for
backfill checked".  2) Subsequent explorations take only a few
seconds, almost no different than on an EOD database, albeit the EOD
database I have consists of about 560 issues, rather than the 197 in
the RT database, so it does seem just a hair slower on the RT side,
but not enough to worry about at all.

It *appears* to me that eSignal's data manager needs some kind of
"wake-up call" after the connection is established (something to
force a backfill on all issues, which can be done via any "all
symbols" exploration), even though the RT window is open, all symbols
are loaded into it, and I have a green OK.  Once every symbol has
been backfilled (via an initial exploration), it appears that 1)
during non-market hours the data manager stops looking for further
backfills (in which case subsequent explorations are "zippy"), and 2)
during market hours it's basically the same thing: one exploration to
force all backfills, then subsequent ones run quite reasonably fast.

Caveat: I still do not thoroughly understand the processes going on
behind the screen, so my descriptions above may not be spot on.

One thing I'd like to know from either TJ or other eSignal users:  Is
there any minimum size I am required to keep on the RT window to
still have functionality?  I realize it can be sized very small, and
I'm wondering if in fact it can be hidden completely, as I have a
much preferred alternative quote window that I use for that purpose,
and would rather simply not be aware of or even see AB's RTQ window.
My current understanding however, is that it needs to at least be
open for RT streaming to work.  If it could be hidden, that would be
nice.

Yuki

24 Hours. Commission-Free.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/DldnlA/9M2KAA/U1CZAA/GHeqlB/TM