[amibroker] Re: Tomasz, GetExtraData() Array Question

Dan,

Survivorship bias :

If you do backtesting and want any significant results, you have to
span a longer timeperiod, say 4 - 5 years back at least, in order to
cover several market cycles.

Now you backtest your strategy on a list of symbols, either the
whole market or more clearly defined based on index components or
self defined lists of stocks meeting certain criteria.

As a matter of fact, a lot of small- and midcap companies get
delisted every year - either they go bankrupt, are taken over ,
merge with another company or go privat. These symbols are not
anymore available for a backtest, as of today. However, with a
backtest, you want to see, how your system would have performed, say
4 years ago until today.
If your symbollist consists only of those stocks which have survived
( read got not delisted ), the backtest can only be based on these
sysmbols performance - although your system might have taken stocks
which got delisted in the meantime and hence your results could be
completely different.

This is true in particular for the small- and Midcap segment of the
market, were you have the most delistings.
If I would use an old SP 600 list of symbols, say from 1999, I think
fewer than 60% of the symbols are still listed and even if, they
moght not be anymore in the SP 600 today.

So in a nutshell, you base your backtest only on those stocks who
have "survived". Think of all the dot.coms which vanished in tha
past 4 years from the stock market. I bet, many of those would have
appeard on any momentum based backtest back in 1999 ( I know this,
because I did also backtesting back in 1999 )

2. Actual vs. split / dividend adjusted prices :
Many high-tech stocks went through dozends of stocksplits in the
past 5 years. If you use a price filter in your system , it might
not consider stocks like YHOO, MSFT or CSCO in backtest for 1999 /
2000 because their split adjusted prices for this period were to
low - whicle their actual prices would have been high enoufgh back
then to have them included in your system.

Finally, there are 2 other major points to take into consideration
for backtesting :

1. In the system test, the system assumes you're prepared to execute
orders every market day. Unless you're a trading junkie, it's more
likely that you would miss a good deal of the backtest trades due
to :
Holidays, not being able to access your computer or reach your
broker, other reasons for not being able to update the backtested
strategy each an every trading day ( aside from the fact, that most
of the time, there's only so much trading volume at each price level
and it's highly unlikely to get filled exactly at the open or close.

2. Taxes : unless one has other sources to pay taxes on shortterm
gains, one would have to withdraw the money needed for paying tax on
those gains at lates somewhen in the first quarter of the following
year. This cuts back the amount of equity availabe for the system to
trade and hence has a significant influence on the results.

When I backtest strategies in AB, I start with year over year tests
and deduct 50% of the gains the system made as taxes by end of each
trading year.

If you make a living from trading, you have to do tests month over
month or even week over week and withdraw the amount you need to
cover your living expenses. Again, this can have a dramatical
influence on your test results - especially when you have to
withdraw money in a drawdon period where your account is deep in the
red ( happens with almost any system ) .

So what I look at in backtesting is not so much the overall
performance, but more important : consistency - is the system
generating cash each and every month during the testing period or ,
at least, doesn't it loose money on a month by month bases!

For that reason, almost any strategy based breakouts, high momentum
etc. on small and microcap stocks is of non value for me. First due
to the survivorship bias, but more important due to the hefty
drawdowns with such volatile stocks.

If I have a good system, I always go through every week of backtest
results and ask myself : would I've had the guts to stay with my
positions although the whole account is in the red for more than 30%
in the middle of a month. Just imagne the news and investment
reports you read in such a period when the markets tank and the
damage done to your emotianyl stability. I assume, not many would
stay with a theoretical system developped with a 130 $ piece of
software when seeing the S&P or NAZ dropping 1 - 2 % each and every
day.

Knowing myself better and better after years of trading, I skipped
almost any strategies which lead to spectacular results, but only on
the cost of drawdowns of 30% or more.

And don't rely on coded trading stops in a backtest unless you're
prepared to enter each calculated stop directly after purchasing /
shortselling the stock physically with your broker. Keeping mental
stops sounds good, but doesn't work in real live !!

Today, I use most of the time so called bracket orders with trailing
stops, were exits to both - stop and target, are directly submitted
to my broker the same time my order is filled. You recognize -
backtesting a system has more parameters as those you would usually
could code into AB.

We always try to trade as mechanical as possible, but we are human
beings and as such, we have to overcome our emotions - probably the
most complicated and ambitious objective one has to fulfill before
becoming a succesful trader.

Hope this helped.

regards
Stefan

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dan Clark" <dan_public@xxxx>
wrote:
> Stefan,
>

> Again, another great post.   Thanks.
>

> Questions about the issues you raised below.
>

> Regarding, "Survivorship bias, especially in the Small & Midcap
segments",
> I'm not familiar with this.   Could explain more?
>

> Regarding, "Actual prices vs. split adjusted prices", I understand
the
> concept in general, but don't understand the significance of the
issue.   Is
> it related to scans and backtesting that they will change because
they
> include specific price levels (e.g., close < $60), or is it
something more
> subtle?
>

> On the second issue, I would think (simplistically) that you would
want
> price-adjusted information under all circumstances because it
would allow
> you to match apples to apples.  Am I missing something here?
>

> Again, many thanks and best regards,
>

> Dan.
>

>   _____

On Behalf