Re: [amibroker] Re: Tomasz, GetExtraData() Array Question

Fred,

I guess you'd call me a discretionary trader with system tendencies.  :-)

Obviously, using historical data would be best.  However, if I have the choice between using current data and using no data, then obviously I'll go with what I can get.

Regards,

Dan.

So it's valid to scan for things that you can't backtest ?

I guess I'd agree for those that are discretionary traders.

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dan Clark" <dan_public@xxxx>
wrote:
> Dingo,
>

> Thanks for posting this.
>

> From a trading system development perspective, I agree.   However,
from a
> scanning perspective, I disagree.   Even current information would
be very
> useful in scans.
>

> Regards,
>

> Dan.
>

>   _____

On Behalf
> Of dingo
> Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2005 8:47 AM
> To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: RE: [amibroker] Re: Tomasz, GetExtraData() Array Question
>

> You guys need to read this msg from the beta forum:

> It follows below:
>

> From: "Tomasz Janeczko" <amibroker@>
> Date: Thu Feb 3, 2005  4:37 pm
> Subject: Re: [amibroker-beta] TC20005 and GetData
>
> amibroker <http://profiles.yahoo.com/amibroker
>  <ymsgr:sendIM?amibroker> OfflineOffline

postID=xkGwdsJ5hI
> oa_1u9tRXDrKyM6jGb06lGA2Tbcn9YUZBtl-
e05Nrjy9TVLzoXuGtw1mu9h_qMzjy7GGAK2wDM3f
> u8GaxHYNzA6z6hbA> Send EmailSend Email
>

> Hello,
>
> Small clarification: there are few fundamentals available from
TC2000
> like Capitalization, Dividend/Yield, Earnings but these are all
just
> *current*
> values. No historical data.
>
> So from "trading strategy development" point of view they are not
useful.

> Best regards,
> Tomasz Janeczko
> amibroker.com
postID=k-54KdmuQO
> fx8o0d-
jeZZs3EOL0EWPF52iLKOGWZHQ_ubpFKqSEpFlxEENvkyOKy6Hx1E45iOziIpPM> >
> To: <amibroker-beta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
postID=JbviPvsSUh
> gcscV39YKXwMnfeD4EH1WAviWmnwytZhkMwEX0BG0giqdRKTPxC-
ZQzIUOKc0F0Wd13Di2-s_nCC
> Mzpqw> >
> Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2005 10:13 PM
> Subject: Re: [amibroker-beta] TC20005 and GetData
>

> > Hello,
> >
> > You should direct this suggestion to the data vendor.
> >
> > As of now TC2005 API does NOT allow to retrieve ANY extra data
except what
> is
> already available in current
> > plugin ("BOP" and "MoneyStream"). Specifically NO historical
fundamental
> data
> is available from TC2K API.
> >
> > As for QP2 GetExtraData it has way more fields than two.
> > http://www.amibroker.com/f?getextradata
> > but indeed only QRS and EPSRank have any historical data (others
are
> "current"
> only)
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Tomasz Janeczko
> > amibroker.com
postID=gJ1iU8JcJd
> qQM_QebsZhLIkQQ0oHHF2nRl9Hu14-ObuCiHZp-O5e5nkelKa8vjUHv__ux-
d6AVivMpKB> >
> > To: <amibroker-beta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
postID=JbviPvsSUh
> gcscV39YKXwMnfeD4EH1WAviWmnwytZhkMwEX0BG0giqdRKTPxC-
ZQzIUOKc0F0Wd13Di2-s_nCC
> Mzpqw> >
> > Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2005 9:38 PM
> > Subject: [amibroker-beta] TC20005 and GetData
> >

> >> Before you close the books on the TC2005 plug ins and make it a
> production
> >> copy,
> >> could I suggest some additionals GetExtraData as you did in
Quotes Plus?

> >> I don't know a thing about the new version of TC2005, but I've
always
> looked
> >> for addition earnings and fundamental data. Unfortunately the
QP3
> >> GetExtraData
> >> only has 2 arrays QPS and EPSRank, but would like more. It's
surprising
> how
> >> a trading strategy based on setup and entries improves when you
add a
> >> fundamental
> >> filter (or Score) to it.
> >>
> >> What do you think? Probably would have kept me a TC2000
customer if you
> >> need
> >> justification for t
> >> the Worden Bros.
> >> Best Regards
> >>
> >> JOE
> >>

>   _____

TC2000
> and I'm simply to lazy to rewrite them all for AB.
> The biggest advantage of TC is, that it runs all strategies PCF's
> and easy scans during a singly update which takes only a few
minutes
> on my PC. In addition, I can update TC2005 during the markethoures
(
> 20 minutes delayed data ) to scan for certain patterns which
develop
> during the day again for all scans, lists, PCF's etc.
> - not possible with QP.
>
> Finally - I rely heavily on my volatility based money-management
for
> positionsizing. Few people would belief what a difference proper
> moneymanagement makes. Let me just say, that my positionsizing
> algorithm can make a difference of 100% and more on the
performance
> of many trading systems - with much less drawdowns and , most of
the
> time, less than 50% of my trading capital employed ( at Risk ).
> Read Van Tharp's "How to trade your way to financial freedom" and
> you know what I mean. My MM aand Positionsizing code is a
derivative
> from his proposals / findings and I can tell you, since
>
> These algorithms are coded in TC and with every stock I call up, I
> see at once how many shares to buy, at which prefered entry-price
> where to set my stops and where to set my profit targets.
> This system is dynamic and changes with every new quote - hence I
> can use it also for scaling in and out strategies, depening on the
> volatilty of the underlying.
>
> BTW = it has nothing to do with the ATR stop used in AB's
> backtester, which unfortunately leads to disappointing results in
> most backtests.
>
> Hope you got the idea, why I still use TC2005 along with QP. Also
> must admit, the real Money-Makers have been my TC2000/5 scans /
> signals for the last 3 years ( + Moneymanagement ! )
>
> With QP, it's a love and hate affair :
> I love their fast and friendly customer service and the
fundamental
> screening abilities of SPP also - making use of the HGSI ratios (
> PSR,EGR and so forth ) also, their A/D indicators are quite
> valuable. I make heavily use of the self definable combo ranking -
> which is also dynamic and offers a lot of hidden power to finetune
> scanning strategy.
> However - what I hate with QP are the limited TA possibilities,
the
> oldfashoined charting module, missing backtest of strategies.
> One has to gain trust in his own setups by really trading the
> results. I use IB as my broker and their low commissions make it
> possible to test-trade certain strategies without putting to much
> money on the table.
>
> In a nutshell : I'm making money with my whole setup ( except with
> Omnitrader because I never found the guts to simply trade it's
> signals - although it had been right more often than I thought. )
>
> So I don't change it lightheartily unless I would find a tool that
> could combine all these possibilities for a still reasonable
price -
> Haven't found it yet, although VV and 123portfolio come a bit
closer
> now.
>
> Sorry for the long reply. Hope it was still helpful.
>
> regards and good trading
> Stefan
>

> --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dan Clark" <dan_public@xxxx>
> wrote:
> > Stefan,
> >

> > Not trying to hijack this thread, but I noticed that you use
both
> QP and
> > TC2005.   (I'm interested because I'm thinking of replacing
TC2005