[amibroker] Re: Trading Pairs By Mark Whistler

Patrick,

Mark's book is titled Trading Pairs Capturing Profits and hedging
risk with Statistical Arbitrage Strategies is published by Wiley
2004.  The book is a simple introduction to equity pairs trading.  It
comes with a CD containing excel spreadsheets detailing his
approach.  The book spends a fair amount of time teaching the reader
how to build a pairs spreadsheet model in excel.  For the reader who
can remember stats class and is already familiar with pairs trading
the book is likely to be elementary.  Since I never took statistics
and can't remember any calculus and freely admit to being a math
simpleton working through the examples in excel helped me to get a
good feeling for Marks trading style.  Mark states his approach is
not a mechanical system but my exploration of his approach in excel
suggests with modest modification his approach might make a good
system.  The problem is I have been a MetaStock user for the past 5
years and simply put there is no way in hell the current version of
MS can be set up to back test a pairs strategy.  Let's not even
bother to mention the fact that MS doesn't offer portfolio level
back
testing.  I also admit to being an AmiBroker coding simpleton; so as
you can see I have an uphill battle.  If you would like I can email a
sample pairs spreadsheet detailing what I am hoping to create in
AmiBroker.

Jeremy

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "NW Trader" <pk47hargus@xxxx> wrote:
> Hi Jeremy,
>
> I have done pairs trading as I understand the term (essentially an
arbitrage
> strategy), but am unfamiliar with Whistler's book -- can you add
some
> explanation or examples?  I assume that you think the book is
worthwhile,
> hence your question.   I'm always on the lookout for new reads for
my
> library so I'll try to find out something about the book as well,
but any
> fast review or comments on it would be of interest to me.   As for
using AB,
> I'm not sure what you mean by this -- comparative charts based on
ROC or
> something else?  An exploration for likely pairs to trade?