[amibroker] Re: A Monte Carlo add-on for Amibroker ?

Simply put, markets and market prices are created by people, not by
random number generators. People, unlike RNGs, have both emotions
and memories, especially of the recent past.

This combination leads to a serial correlation effect upon the
trading that people do in that they tend to keep doing what has been
working in the recent past. More and more traders are drawn towards
that sort of trading and markets start to adjust to this.
Eventually, the method breaks down but traders keep trading the same
method simply because it worked in the past. This process, after a
good period, leads to a longer series of losing trades than might be
expected from a random simulation.

Something to think about...

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "qweds_560" <qweds_560@xxxx> wrote:
> Hi Quentin,
>
> Think it was called Crystal Ball (some sort of Excel add-in).
>
> I can give you qualitative (as opposed to quantitative) reasons as
> to why there is positive serial correlation between trade results.
>
> Let me know if interested.
>
> Sam
>
> --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "alonzo798" <qqquentin@xxxx>
wrote:
> > Sam,
> >
> > Your 3 cents are appreciated.
> >
> > I think (but haven't done anything to verify it) that indeed the
> > returns of a trading system will most often show some degree of
> serial
> > correlation.  And this weakens somewhat the results of a Monte
> Carlo
> > simulation.
> >
> > The Big Question being : to what extent ?
> >
> > It would be enlightening to play with the MC simulators you've
> heard
> > of and see how the outcomes change as a function of the degree of
> > serial correlation.
> >
> > Do you have a link or a name ?
> >
> > TIA,
> >
> > Quentin
> >

> > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "qweds_560" <qweds_560@xxxx>
> wrote:
> > > Sorry guys, I felt like interrupting your discussion with my 3
> cents.
> > >
> > > I think you are on the right track with your caveat "...Monte
> Carlo
> > > simulation supposes that the individual trade returns are
> completely
> > > independent from each other, which may not be the case..."
> > >
> > > If correct, that there is serial correlation between
individual
> > > trade returns, then any stats calculated on the basis of
> > > independency of events don't mean much. With regard to Monte
> Carlo
> > > simulation, I think you will tend to underestimate the risk of
> > > series of losing trades.
> > >
> > > I for one believe in the serial correlation of returns,
> especially
> > > those generated from trading systems.
> > >
> > > Regards
> > >
> > > Sam
> > >
> > > P.S. I have heard of some Monte Carlo generators where you can
> add a
> > > degree of serial correlation in.
> > >

> > > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "alonzo798" <qqquentin@xxxx>

> data