Re: [amibroker] Re: OFF-Topic: Win2000 / XP

Anyone interested in trying Linux,

    Be aware that linux is not magic fix it software, And there are some things people should know.

Any OS has quirks, And linux has it's fair share as well. However the main point here is that Windows also
has quirks - But most people are now so used to them - They just seem like accepted part of the Win OS.
When you switch to linux, You are presented with a fresh new set of quirks - Though becuase you just not
used to them, They seem like impossible to live with bugs.
     These will become less relevent as you learn the new system, You didn't learn windows overnight so don't
expect to learn linux overnight either.

Any OS takes time to setup, You setup a fresh install of windows xp  - And it realy does take some time to get
everything configured the way you like it.
The same with linux, Exept that because your new to it (You don't yet know it's quirks) Setup may take longer
and appear to be a little more frustrating.
    It's not so much "linux" fault, As the same issues would arise if you were switching to Amiga, Mac or any
other os your not familia with.

Most linux distributions come with prepackaged software. This means is a whole lot more than when you
just get some extra bundled software with windows.  And I'll explain.
Generaly speaking. When you run an update on linux you will update not only linux itself, But all the packages
on your system. Everything from Wordprocessor to Video drivers can be updated in one simple command.
Windows users are so used to going to website, Downloading program, Uninstalling old app, Installing new updated app.
 that using linux tools such as YUM are almost a shock! (A plesant one!)

Be warned though, Initial updates to linux can be quite large because of this. ie all Wordprocessor, Webbrowsers etc etc are
usualy updated on the 1st update. This can make a 1st update nearly 500-600mb in size. You DO want a broadband connection.
(The bright side is, If you know someone with an uptodate (same distro) linux machine, You can simply COPY the yum cache
directory to your box and do all the updates localy).

Moz asked for practical examples, This isn't realy an apropriate question. But I'll answer anyway.
    For me, It's peace of mind and productivity. Simple as that.

Im sure there are other things worth mentioning. But that will do for now.
    ATB
       Michael.

moztrader wrote:

Well I Will look at this . I can see why it isnt more popular as it
seems not as "dumb proof " to get started. I have a modem so I cannot
dload 600 mbytes . If anyone is willing to send my a CD I will pay
them for shipping costs . Im in Australia.

CAn u give me any practical examples of where you use this and enjoy
it over windows .

EG your comment " no viruses " . Are you saying we dont have to worry
about antvirus software etc ?If this is the case arent we being ripped
by MS ?

any others ?

Regards
MOZ