Re: [amibroker] Intraday Data - SetForeign and data alignment

Graham

I have finished testing with some dummy intraday data and can confirm your statement:

"...but if the underlying ticker does not have a bar at that particular day/time bar then the foreign ticker will not show data there"

It makes total sense on the face of it but I did not expect the feature to propogate UP to longer timeframes such as 30 minute, daily or weekly charts (i.e. produced from intraday data). I must be doing something wrong for sure, because the following test results means that comparing tickers on an intraday database could be inconsistent and produce unexpected results especially when using ASX data.

This is what I found:

Local Database (no RT Interface activated): 1 Minute Bars
Ticker XIJ has quotations for every Odd Minute between 3:31 and 4:00pm, OHLC non zero, V = 0
Ticker CPU has quotations for every Even Minute between 3:31 and 4:00pm, OHLCV non zero
Both tickers have quotations that overlap in time for the previous half hour periods.
Indicator/AFL programmed to detail OHLCV values for the ticker selected and for Foreign Ticker CPU with Padding disabled. Chart displayed candles for OHLC and V from the foreign ticker.

The code uses the following statements to plot:

if ( SetForeign("CPU",0) ) {

    CPUvol = V;

    RestorePriceArrays();

}

Plot( C, "Close", ParamColor("Color", colorYellow ), styleNoTitle | ParamStyle("Style") | GetPriceStyle() );

Plot( CPUVol, _DEFAULT_NAME(),

IIf( C > O, ParamColor("Price Up Color", colorLightGrey ), ParamColor("Price Down Color", colorGrey50 ) ),

ParamStyle( "Price Style", styleHistogram | styleThick | styleOwnScale, maskHistogram ) )

1.. Display Price Chart
    Interpretation and chart display values for CPU odd minute periods only on a 1 Minute Timeframe
    Interpretation and chart display values for CPU EVERY period when using a 5,15,30,hourly,daily Timeframe
    Interpretation
    This was the expected behaviour - OK so far.

2. Display Price Chart for XIJ.
    Interpretation and chart display values for XIJ odd minute periods only on a 1 Minute Timeframe
    Interpretation and chart display values for XIJ EVERY period when using a 5,15,30,hourly,daily Timeframes
    Interpretation for Foreign Ticker CPU showed NO Data on a 1 Minute Timeframe (expected behaviour)
    Interpretation for Foreign Ticker CPU showed NO Data on 5,15,30 bar between 3:30 and 4pm

The 1 minute chart behaved as expected, CPU vol was empty for the periods it did not exist. This is easy to compensate for in code by doing the following inside the SetForeign code section:

CPUVol = IIf(IsNull(V),0,V) ;

I did not expect NO DATA for the foreign ticker CPU for timeframes greater than 1 minute.
What I expected was for the 5,15,30 minute bars be generated for CPU prior to aligning with XIJ, thus no data would be lost at the higher timeframe.

Now, if XIJ had a quotation for every 1 minute bar then the volume check above could correctly compensate for the missing bars in the constituent stocks (vis CPU). The OHLC would be OK too I think.

I will send this email to support, and hopefully Amibroker can shed some light on my problem and help solve it. I am looking forward to progressing past my "learning to walk with AFL phase" with Amibroker for I have many ideas I'd like to put to code.

If anyone can see where I have gone wrong, I'd be glad to hear your thoughts.

regards
Chris