[amibroker] Are Ehlers' indicators useful for real trading?

There are a number of archived messages discussing Ehlers' indicators.
I checked his Mesa Software website and it is very sparse with only
info designed to encourage you to buy his software.

Ehlers has written several books. Here is a very negative review of
one (1st spotlight review):

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0471405671/ref=pd_sim_b_1/102-6347525-3500951?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance

I thought it might be useful for anyone interested in his methods.

Quotes from review:

"...Recent academic research has tended to show that stock-market
"signals" tend NOT to fulfill these assumptions very well. In some
ways, this puts a significant dent (in my view) in the theory used as
the basis for the indicators derived."

"The attention to detail at times is very obtrusive to a reader with a
keen eye and understanding of what is being described"

"...The REAL problem here is that a more realistic simulation shows
that one is hard-pressed to show ANY profit on ANY type of
stock/commodity/currency. I've tried the system (unaltered) on dozens
of instruments, with a couple rather moderate successes and the rest
losing money terribly, even with reasonable stop losses and money
management."

"Almost (if not all) of Ehler's graphs in his book are from the same
time series: specifically the US96H (March 1996 Treasury Bond
contracts)...the time period under consideration shows a series with
nearly ideal characteristics for Ehlers systems, while almost all
other series I've tested his indicators and systems on do not exhibit
the same performance."

Bill