[amibroker] Newbie Question: Chart Templates

Hi, I'm new to AB (couple of weeks) and am using 4.70rc1.

I'm puzzled by behavior I'm seeing from custom chart templates.

Simplest example:  I open a chart with a saved template, say XXX.  In
the course of looking at that chart, I decide that I'd like to add
another indicator, just for that particular moment.  So, I add the
indicator, say a moving average.  Then I'm done with that review and
go on to other things.

Sometime later (and haven't closed AmiBroker in the meantime), I apply
template XXX to a different symbol.  The indicator that I added in
what I thought was a temporary mode earlier, has been saved in the
template definition.  E.g., that moving average that I added above for
a brief inspection of another symbol is automatically saved to the
template.

Is this by design?  If so, is there a way around this?  I.e., can I
open a symbol with a template, analyze it by adding other indicators,
but not affect the definition of the template?

BTW, I have turned off the automatic saving of Templates on Exit.
That doesn't seem to affect this question.

Thanks,
David