Re: [amibroker] Re: OT:Technical VS Technofundamental trading

Hi Fred,

Fred <ftonetti@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The numbers were expressed in PERCENT not as a multiplier ...

So the calc should be ...

%/Year = (2494.85 ^ ( 1 / 47 ) - 1) * 100 ~ 18.107%

Howard's numbers ARE correct.

Yes you and Mr Howard are both right.Thanks for bringing it to my attention.I am slipping, percentage and multiple.Ok gives me more confidence looking at the percentage figures.

47th root of 2594.85=1.182063 is 18.2063%.

--N!!

This ezine came in my mailbox-statistics-seasonal investing:

The January Barometer ?... With the  stock market down in January does this have any predictive value for the market for the rest of the year? Although articles have been legion about this throughout the financial press, here is the straight truth about the topic. One reputable investment service found that in 20 down Januaries since 1950, the period from February to December was down ten times, or 50%, about “as correct as flipping a coin.”  However, they did find that in the 35 up Januaries, the February-to-December period showed 31 gains, or 89%.  Furthermore, in the years when January was up, the rest of the year showed average gains of 12.7 %, compared to a loss of 1.2% in the years when January was down

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Natasha !! <dynomitedoll_ddd@xxxx>
wrote:
> Hi ,
>     I think you are a little in err about those figures:
>

> howard bandy <howardbandy@xxxx> wrote:
>
> Greetings –
>

>         I found these statistics on a website called
warrenbuffettsecrets: In 47 years, Buffett's investment company,
Berkshire Hathaway has achieved returns of 259,485% versus the S&P
500 returns of 4,783%. The difference in results is an astonishing
254,747%!

> In my opinion, there is a more meaningful way to compare the two
percentages you describe.

> (Without making any judgment about the accuracy of either overall
investment gain, but just examining the numbers.)

> An 18.2% annual gain, compounded for 47 years, produces the
259485% overall gain of Buffett's company.  An 8.5% annual gain,
compounded for 47 years, produces the 4783% overall gain of the
S&P.  The comparison is between 18.2% and 8.5%.

>      The 47 th root of 259485 is 1.3037 that means an annual
compounded gain of 30.37% and similiar calc with the s&p gives
19.75%.I think quite possible in the realms of amibroker its just
the 47 years that bothers me .Thanks for the interest.I think this %
come under money management  and do play a role in the final fortune
in the long run.

> ---N!!
>

> Thanks,
>
> Howard

audience nor was it a research paper though i have done quite a lot
of lateral thinking on the subject.The word exponential should be
taken in a literary sense and in tune with the general flow of the
article and can be replaced by "Phenomenal"if you wish.

> <<SNIP>>
>

> Check AmiBroker web page at:
> http://www.amibroker.com/
>
> Check group FAQ at:
>

> Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
> document.write('');

Service.

> ---
>

> ---
>

> Warm regards,
> Natasha !

>  Yahoo! Search presents - Jib Jab's 'Second Term'

Warm regards,
Natasha !

Visit The Doll Palace [Where Cartoon Dolls Live]