[amibroker] Subscript Operator question

I've finally started to tackle flow control and looping.  For a non-
programmer, it's brutal.  I'm trying to inch forward one tiny step at
a time.  My first little project is to understand subscript
operators.

In the User's Guide, Tomasz gives this example:

WriteVal(Close[0]); // prints the first bar of close array

Simple enough.  I decided to quickly verify by this by displaying the
value in the IB window:

Title=WriteVal(Close[0]);

Sure enough, it displayed the close of the first bar.  But as I
scrolled to the right in the main window, the value suddenly started
changing.  Why would it change?  Why doesn't it always display the
close of the first bar?  I've experimented over and over but can't
figure out where the changed numbers are coming from or what they
represent.

Can someone explain?

Thanks,
Wayne