Re: [amibroker] Re: OT:Two DSL Services

>> Here in Japan, population density means that almost everyone has
>> access to reasonably priced 100 mbps glass.  And since Japan tries
>> to balance market economics with at least some semblance of
>> egalitarianism, we city folk pay a small premium over what the
>> market would normally call for, in order to provide the service to
>> our country cousins at a price they can afford.
>>
>> Try getting that idea across in the States, and good luck.  ^_^
>>
>> Yuki

P> Again, only one point of view.

P> During the 90's, so many US$ were poured into broadband
P> infrastructure, only to be margainilized by the US FCC which was
P> lobbied by other competing communications interests that competed
P> against nationwide broadband.

But "nation-wide anything" is an anathema to US economic orthodoxy,
unless the market can do it without any regulation.

P> Our major telecomunication providers were required by law (FCC
P> Requirements) to provide competing wholesale operations with
P> 'below cost' business rates of telecommunications for consumer
P> pricing.

P> As a result, major US telecommunication providers just withheld
P> broadband from the market rather than give competators access to
P> the technology at below market cost rates.

So, it sounds like it was a half-measure to me.  Either broadband
access is a national goal, or it isn't.  When you turn over natural
monopolies (utilities, etc.) to the private sector, you then
relinquish control over them.  It's very difficult to have it both
ways.  Of course they are going to act in their own self interest.
Why does this surprise?

P> And so, here in the US, because of artificial governmental regulatory
P> policy, our major telecom providers have with-held broadband for
P> competative reasons (and self-defensive reasons).

P> Once we are able to obtain fair FCC treatment of ownership rights,
P> then we will see fair distribution of broadband nationwide.

P> Just My Opinion.

You already have "fair" distribution from a purely economic
perspective.

The question is, does "fair" imply anything else besides pure
economics.  The orthodox capitalist priests are ready with their
answer, to be sure.

Any ideology taken to its logical extreme becomes a pathetic
absurdity.  One needs a sense of balance.

Yuki