Re: [amibroker] OFF-Topic: PC Utilities: Registry Mechanic

Hi Ara,

AK> Anyone with experience with Registry Mechanic?

AK> It finds 733 problems on my PC, while Norton Utilities finds only 4.

AK> Seems like they count problems differently ... but several
AK> hundred problems seems a little absurd ...

AK> Appreciate your feedback ... about Registry Mechanic ...
AK> about Norton  ... about your favorite

If you are running a modern version of Windows, and if I remember you
are running Windows 2000, which I would say qualifies, the odds of
you needing to do *anything* to the registry, *ever*, are very small.

A lot of these so-called registry cleaners, and registry problem
solvers are real booby traps for all but very knowledgeable users. Go
to almost any forum where this type of thing is discussed by
knowledgeable users, and the advice overwhelmingly comes down on the
side of "don't need it; don't use it".  (Earlier versions of Windows,
particularly 98 and before, are a bit different.)

If you have a virus, or some malware, you may have to make a manual
edit to the registry, or run some script or program specifically
designed to fix a particular problem.  Other than that, your need to
mess with the registry would be very limited, and restricted to that
which *you* understand.  You should not give one of these "fix-all"
programs the run of your registry.

Yuki