[amibroker] Re: ExRem

Herman,

I think I understand re: position. Essentially this returns a value
of 1 or 0 which may be of use if you need the system to know if you
are long or short.

The reason why I have been using:

Buy = ExRem( Buy, Short);
Sell = ExRem( Sell, Buy );
Short=ExRem(Short,Buy);
Cover=ExRem(Cover,Short);

is because I do not want to take a long position unless my last
trade was a short position and vice versa (the first trade can be
either short or long). If I implement your way, the backtester may
go long, stop me out and then go long again and stop me out and so
on before it comes to a short signal. I only want to go long once,
sell at my stop and then monitor for a short signal.

Hope this makes some sense (hope that i am using exrem correctly as
well!)

Best regards

Sam

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Herman van den Bergen"
<psytek@xxxx> wrote:
> [Sam] I didn't understand...these don't appear to do anything
since they are
> not predefined variables:
>
> > Position = exRem(Buy,Short);
>
> You were using Buy and Short in you initial code so they were
> defined...Position here is simply a custom variable that assumes
the value
> of 1 when you are Long and 0 when you are Short - useful for a
variety of
> purposes; for example plotting a Position Ribbon:
> Position = exRem(Buy,Short);
> Plot(1,"Position",iif
(Position,colorGreen,colorRed),styleArea|styleownscale,
> 0,30);
>
> > LongPosition = exRem(Buy,Sell);
> > ShortPosition = exRem(Short,Cover);
>
> The above can be used similarly for non-reversal systems or when
you use
> stops.
>
> [Sam] However, I essentially want to alternate between going long
and
> going short.
>
> Not sure how you generate your signals... the way you toggle your
positions
> is new to me... my systems always define all four signals
logically and
> rigidly. I do this also so that if I add stops the system will
continue to
> behave as expected.  I am not sure if exRem is intended to "add"
anything in
> the area of signal generation...but perhaps i misunderstand what
you are
> doing.
>
> best regards,
> herman