Re: [amibroker] Re: microsoft visual 6 windows xp sp2

Barry Scarborough wrote:

>I keep haering that this is a good idea and that unix is much less
>prone to errors and viruses that Microsoft.  But, I just wonder what
>all those people with $1000s of MS based SW will do with their
>programs on a UNIX base? The platforms are not compatible are they?

Most "well-behaved" Windows programs can be run under Linux with WINE or
several alternatives, which create a suitable environment for them
within the new operating system.  There are two or three messages in the
archives about running AB with WINE, which apparently is quite
successful.  (Please note that none of this is from my experience, but
is well attested to by people I trust.)  In addition, extremely good
alternatives to the Windows programs are available, mostly free and
included with almost any distro of Linux.  For example, Open Office is
essentially 100 percent compatible with Microsoft Office, at least for
all but the most arcane functions.  Which is much more than can be said
for the Mac version of Microsoft Word.

For a start, you might want to take a look at
http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT3135712364.html .  It's an
interesting read for those of us who are still at the wrong end of the
learning curve.

Personally, I retain just enough fantasies of hackerdom (in the good
sense) to want to learn all the intricacies of the Unix command line, so
I'd love to start with one of the geek-oriented distributions.  Which is
what has stopped me from making the transition thus far.  I don't have
the time, and probably not the true interest, much less the discipline
to make a go of it.  But the article above makes it really inviting.  My
next machine will be at least a dual OS platform, and after that I do
not expect to have much contact with Bellingham.

Owen