Re: [amibroker] BarsSince(Buy)

Tomasz Janeczko wrote:

>Thank you very much for your understanding and I appologize for a bit harsh tone of my previous response.

Not at all, Tomasz.  I really do understand your frustration.  There was
a time when I thought of becoming a programmer.  (My computer then was a
Compupro 8080 S-100 machine, replacing a Vector Graphics System B, for
anyone whose memory extends that far back.)  My existing career then was
too demanding of time, and too ungenerous of cash, to allow much
consistency of study.  It embarrasses me to recognize how much farther I
am from that goal today than I was 20 years or more ago.

Coincidentally, someone has written in the last few minutes to ask my
opinion of "AmiTrader."  Assuming that he meant Amibroker, I corrected
the name and wrote this:  "I think it is probably the best piece of
technical-analysis software available today.  (I haven't seen quite all
of the competing programs, but have seen a lot of them.)  It is
extremely powerful; I doubt that there is much that cannot be done with
it, and there are many things that can be done with Amibroker that
cannot be accomplished with any other program I know.  However, as a
result, it has a fairly steep learning curve. To get the benefit of its
power, you really need to learn a bit of programming--more than I have
been willing to bother with thus far.  Nonetheless, I would not trade it
for anything else out there.  And Tomasz, unlike other software vendors,
continuously improves his program and is always available to help with
questions.  In this he is aided by one of the most active,
knowledgeable, and generous user groups on the Net.  To get anywhere
near what Tomasz offers, you would have to pay several times as much,
and it still would not be as good."

I believe all of that wholeheartedly.  I expect to be using Amibroker
for as long as I use any TA software.  (Poor Tomasz!  There is no escape
for you in sight.)

In answer to another message in the last few hours, you suggested that
it might be possible to supply more examples of code for features that
users find mysterious. For me, at least, that would be extremely
helpful.  I am not incapable of learning, or even of making the effort
to learn.  But it sometimes requires a bit more help than one could wish
to see how a feature applies to my specific needs.

Do give one other idea some thought, if you would.  What makes computers
generally beneficial, what makes programs more than an artistic
expression--not that I mean to slight that aspect of their nature--is
that they save us time and enable us to do things we could not have done
before.  From this point of view, providing a few--I suspect very
few--"unnecessary" features such as the infamous BarsSince(Entry) may
make Amibroker even more powerful. It will not prevent people like
Dimitris from using their skill to extract all that Amibroker already
has to offer.  Yet it will allow technically unsophisticated users like
me to gain the benefit of functions we cannot create on our own.  It
might even save more capable users the time and effort it would take
them to create them on their own.  The costs are limited:  a few hours
of your programming time, a few extra clock cycles from AB's parser, and
having a needless accretion or two defacing the purity of your otherwise
elegant program.  I understand that last part will hurt.  Yet to me it
seems a net gain.  FWIW.

Thank you so much for your help.  I was not in any way offended that you
became a trifle irritable.  Many people over the years have found that I
test their patience.  No one could blame you for being one of them,
least of all me.

Best regards,

Owen