[amibroker] Re: wrong Backtesting results:

Hi,

Yes, it is possible to extract information (make a rule) from past
prices that allows to make extra profit. Yes, the nature of the
markets (competition) would clear it out fast, but not that fast that
it happens immediately.  It takes time for the prices to achieve an
equilibrium where they equalize supply and demand.  Why?  because time
is the mechanism used by nature to prevent things from happening all
at once.  Time can be your friend as well as your enemy, depending on
whether you are involved in day-trading (gambling) or swing-trading or
longer-term trading.  Yes, it would be curve fitting of data, but only
if you are constantly optimizing your parameters to changing market
conditions instead of using adaptive parameters which can adapt to any
market condition.

I use systematic trading as the foundation (framework) for my
discretionary trading architecture and I must say, I will not be
successful without a solid foundation and would literally be a fish
out of water..  My framework is extremely consistent.  It is so
consistent that I do not even have to listen to news, annual reports
and questionable fundamentals, though I do make a note of the exact
time when the news or report is due, so that I can take a position
before it occurs for precise market timing.  But equally important is
money management and selecting the markets appropriately which is an
inherent part of market timing. These 3, selecting the markets
appropriately (market-timing), money management and mind psychology
which is directly affected by how much money you have to work with and
selecting the markets appropriately form the  discretionary trading
architecture.

rgds, Pal
--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Franco Gornati <francogornati@xxxx>