Re: [amibroker] For Tomasz: Worried About AB's Algorithm for Selecting Stocks in Backtest

Dear Tomasz,

Thank you very much for your clear explanation.  I will examine
carefully the options I have set up in my backtest code.

By the way, I am very pleased with the AmiBroker software.  I think its
capabilities and flexibility make it a better choice than something like
MetaStock.

There is one thing which leaves me a little disappointed, though.  As
you know, the most realistic scenario possible for backtesting would
allow pyramiding.  AB does not yet appear to have that.  Marcin has
informed me that it will eventually be available in AB.  I am hoping
that it will be soon, so that I can backtest more realistically.  Is
there any approximate timetable?

Thanks again for your help.  AB is an outstanding product!

Josef Dobrovics

Tomasz Janeczko wrote:

> Josef,
>
> The algorithm to select stock in the basket is easy and described
> here:
> http://www.amibroker.com/guide/h_portfolio.html
>
> "You can use new PositionScore variable to decide which trades should
> be entered if there are more entry signals on different
> securities than maximum allowable number of open positions or
> available funds. In such case AmiBroker will use the absolute value of
>
> PositionScore variable to decide which trades are preferred"
>
> If you do NOT define PositionScore variable in your formula or
> PositionScore is equal for more than
> one security then the order is
> - larger trades first (with bigger dollar value )
> - then alphabetical order
> - if both buy and short occur on the same symbol then LONG trade is
> preferred
>
> Please note that to get consistent results you have to:
> a) use the same data set
> b) use the same settings (you can save settings to a file via "SAVE"
> button in the settings page
> and restore them later any time by loading them back via "LOAD"
> button)
>
> Best regards,
> Tomasz Janeczko
> amibroker.com