Re: [amibroker] How does Amibroker compare against the rest

Dear sir,
   I am a student (not of investing) and like most students i get access to 24 hrs net virtually free.I come from an investor family .I have also access to most trading software and mags courtesy family friends and some of my own who like monkeying around on the web and have tried most of them out.My main aim isnt making money but programming for the perfect system which i havent discovered so far and neither has anyone i know.In my opinion ( in short)Afl is a short cut language. It performs many functions which requires many lines of code in a single line,
    For the price at which it is available amibroker (gen consensus amongst us) is far
superior to other products available in the market and equally versatile .Except for a software called Advancedget which some of us argue is very superior but extremely costly,
     Me i just got interested  in investing last month since i have become suddenly short of excess pocket money and brainwashed over the years in hearing Phrases like use your money to make more money and not spend it all on chocolate and candy,
     Seriously we feel amibroker is a good buy and after seeing the literature available in your amibroker usergroup forum it is better than most available around,Many in my circle use it and me i will just borrow their copy to experiment,
      These are my views and i make my views by trial and error and dont change them fast,
     Have fun

kris45mar <kris45mar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dennis

Some words of encouragement if I may...?

< So I lack some fundamental knowledge that would make learning AFL easier.>

I too am an old timer.
I have *no* computing or programming background.
What I lack in that department I get from the support from the developer and this forum.
My *daily* trading tasks include going to this forum and taking out what I need.
Here and there I hope to be able to make small contributions to other beginners, but even that is hard enough for me.

I will never use most of what AB offers: but if I need it, it will be there, together with the superb help and attitudes you will find on this forum. What more can I ask for?

I haven't created any indicators... I just trade using them.
I haven't created any code.... I just trade using it.
I have never made my own camera but I sure know how to use one etc etc.

<I have to see a simple line of code with only one or two functions, and then view the output to be able to internalize the concept. Then I can move on to the next function.>

I just accept that I trade first, and learn AB next. Don't forget this whole forum can be accessed and searched online or with downloadable *.chm files. One lesson per day. I aim to learn one new thing about AB per day. And even then I have to relearn them again later, because like you I learn by doing.

<But if someone could write that "AFL For Dummies" book, it would be helpful... : )

I am sure that is what many of us do: copy and paste things of NBance to us into our AB basics document for later reference.
I think "AB for dummies" will be a very thick book. I do agree that some really basic concepts for programmers take a little bit of time for me to wrap my brain around, and such a book would be useful. On the other hand I feel I don't need to absolutely understand things to be able to use them.

To me trading must be fun.
Learning AB certainly is for me.

If you do decide to stay with AB I am sure, like me, you will be humbled by its support and capabilities.

regards

ChrisB

Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

DyDoll_ddd