  From: Yuki Taga [mailto:yukitaga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
  Sent: Friday, September 24, 2004 9:03 AM
  To: Herman van den Bergen
  Subject: Re: [amibroker] OT: Shorts vs Longs (Yuki please)

  Hi Herman,

  HvdB> What do you think about trading shorts in RealTime/Intraday?

  Timing is everything.  But short timing is more difficult, IMO.  As
  long as you define your risk and stick to it though, fine.  And as
  long as your potential dwarfs your risk, or your probability is high
  enough to compensate.  This dual requirement eliminates a lot of
  trades of course, but that is exactly as it should be.

  HvdB>  It seems that if we reduce the trade duration to the intraday
  HvdB> level (minutes to hours, no overnite holds) and we are watching
  HvdB> the trade in real time, that there is little risk in going
  HvdB> short. Also some of the ETFs appear quite safe. Do you also
  HvdB> trade Intraday?

  I do a little intraday trading, but almost always I hold a bit
  longer.  But I no longer build huge positions and hold them long
  term, like I once did.  But very little in and out the same day. Very
  little. I just don't find risk:reward I'm happy with very often
  intraday. Often, I can find the *monetary* risk:reward, but not the
  *probability*, or vice versa. I don't often find them coexisting
  intraday.  Part of that may simply be because we have two very
  *short* intraday periods here: 2 hours before lunch, and 2 1/2 hours
  after a 90 minute break.  Sometimes, they are more like two separate
  days than a single day.

  HvdB> Theoretically i feel that if my timing is correct I should be
  HvdB> able to reverse each trade,

  Well, theoretically . . . ^^_^^ if your timing is right.  But
  reversing every trade is a fool's errand, IMHO.  We don't sell only
  because we are sure the market is about to turn down.  We sell when
  we are reducing risk (partial liquidation to try and ensure break
  even or better on an initial position), and we sell when the
  expectation of further gain comes with a greater risk:reward ratio
  than the original entry, or at least a greater risk:reward ratio than
  we are willing to now accept. Selling doesn't mean we always *expect*
  a tradable decline. And even when a tradable decline comes, often you
  have to be as agile as a cat to get it.  Less agility is needed on
  the long side, IMO.

  HvdB>  however i don't stick to that... i enter on signals but exit
  HvdB> before my exit signal most of the time (never capturing the
  HvdB> entire price move). This for two reasons: 1) I hate losing even
  HvdB> small profits 2) it gives me more time to enter/modify/transmit
  HvdB> order lines. btw, i don't trade stocks <$5.

  Nobody captures the entire move.  Nobody.  So don't worry about that.
  But taking the small profits to avoid the small losses is a
  prescription to mediocrity at best, or ruin at worst.  It is how I
  started trading many long years ago, and it simply doesn't work.
  Fortunately I realized and accepted that very quickly, and I changed
  my ways.  One of the big changes was learning to actually play
  *through* the initial profit target with a portion of the position.
  It is impossible to hit a home run without doing that, of course.

  You must define a risk that you can live with, and then accept that
  risk to its full jeopardy when you enter a trade. An exception here
  or there is okay, of course -- there are always extenuating
  circumstances.  But if the exceptions start adding up, you are either
  making weak entries or are unable to reign in your emotions.  Often
  the emotions get in the way when the probabilities and/or rewards are
  too low.  Of course, if the risk is too high, that will have your
  synapses firing like crazy.  ^^_^^

  You define your risk before entering, and you accept it, fully. If
  you cannot hold to it, you are probably not making entries consistent
  with successful trading, and you might need to look at that.  One
  psychological trick you might try to improve on risk acceptance
  (assuming your entries are indeed okay) is to imagine, before
  entering the trade, that you have lost the entire amount that you
  intend to risk. Really, seriously, try to imagine that it is gone --
  poof -- and that such a result, while not fun, is actually okay.  It
  may help you hold, or it may help you set more realistic risk
  parameters.

  My guess might be that, in addition to not liking the small losses,
  you may not be taking trades with large enough profit potentials.
  When serious profit potential is not there (serious at least in
  relation to risk, and combined with a high enough probability of
  course), it's easy to get nervous about small losses. Also, if you
  don't play the winners through to your target (assuming gains and
  probabilities make losing okay), you will have great difficulty ever
  taking enough risk to be successful. Instead of accepting a necessary
  amount of risk, you'll be bailing out early on both sides of your
  entries, and your broker will love you. At the end of every day
  however, you'll need some serious stress antidote.

  The key to the game is taking on risk, and living calmly with it. And
  that means taking just the right amount of risk, understanding that
  it cannot be zero, or too low, nor of course can it be too high. It
  must be, as Goldilocks said, "Just right". That is the key thing I
  would tell anyone attempting to trade any financial market.  If you
  cannot accept enough risk, you have to demand *extreme*
  probabilities, and you will either make very few trades in that case
  (fine, too, in that case), or you will spin your wheels endlessly, or
  churn yourself into oblivion either financially, or psychologically,
  or both.

  BTW, when you read my bias against shorting, remember that over here,
  I have a nice advantage in shorting that US equity traders don't
  have: essentially no uptick rule.  (There is one now, introduced a
  couple of years ago, but it only applies to 50 times the round lot
  size or larger, and a lot of stuff here still has a round lot size of
  1,000 shares, so I -- or others -- could squeeze off a pretty big
  short on demand in many cases.)  But I make more money on the long
  side, even in periods like 6/1/00 through 4/1/03.  I would have made
  more money, probably, if I'd gone massively short at the beginning of
  that period, and covered at the end, but I'm not even close to being
  that smart.

  Sure, there are successful and good short traders.  It's just that
  the ones I know are always in and out of therapy, and they often have
  really annoying nervous ticks, stutters, or other socially
  undesirable traits. (^_-) My life is much more relaxed, I think.

  Yuki

  Check group FAQ at: