Re: [amibroker] Faster with One Function File or Many

Hi Curt,

Saturday, August 14, 2004, 12:43:41 AM, you wrote:

c> Yuki

c>  i'm no expert in excel,what little i know i learned by trial and
c> error, a msft book vba for excel 97 and reading other macro's.
c>  any excel formating in excel is only for excel not ab.
c>  all you want to do is save a csv file and import to ab.
c>  my method was to record a macro,write a little vba in the macro,
c> record another macro from that point and copy paste to the first
c> macro. do it in little steps.
c>  here is the complete macro text which should help.
c>  this reads a file of tickers,imports data from quote tracker, saves
c> the data to  csv files and imports the files to ab.

I really appreciate the effort you (and others) put into helping me.
Unfortunately, I'm not really a coder (at all), so I went with what I
think is an easy solution for me, and that was to figure out how to
do it with the macro creator I already have on my box: Automate.

I set up two macros, both activated by hot key combinations, and both
thoroughly tested and now working perfectly. The first one saves the
edited xls file, then saves it as a csv file by the same name, then
closes Excel, then reopens Excel and reloads the xls file all ready
to go again. All the drudgery of answering the various dialog pop ups
is now automatic, and fast.  It all happens in a couple of seconds,
much much faster than I could ever do it manually.

The second macro causes AB to import the specific csv file and save
the database. With these two hot key macros, I think I can update
data on the fly now just as fast, probably faster, than I could using
the Downloader and AB without any macros.

I am relatively sure now that I will no longer use the Downloader,
and I can go ahead with my upgrade to XP SP-2.  Very happy to find
answers to my problems that don't rely on once-free software than is
no longer free, or even supported.  Just about the only task
remaining is to finish the conditional formatting on the xls file, so
that I cannot type in a H that is too low or a L that is too high,
etc., without the program alerting me.

Thanks again for all the help.

Yuki