[amibroker] Re: Free EOD data AND RT data source?

Hi Herman,

Tuesday, August 10, 2004, 6:42:36 PM, you wrote:

HvdB> Has anybody who is using a quality Virus detection program ever
HvdB> had a virus come through and corrupt files?

HvdB> At a cost of about $29CAN annually I have an automatically updated Anti
HvdB> Virus program. I receive virus infected material almost daily and they are
HvdB> all detected and deleted upon receipt. Perhaps i am lucky but I have never
HvdB> had a virus infect my computers, to me harddisk failure is a much greater
HvdB> risk/problem (HDs have died on me).

HvdB> If you are trading over the internet a virus detection program is a
HvdB> necessary trading "tool". If you don't have one consider getting one.

I think only once in my life (many years ago) I actually had the AV
program signal a warning. For the most part, the attempts to infect
are clownish and I simply delete the messages without ever even
trying to access the attachments.  For the most part, too, I never
even see the offending messages. I use K9 as a spam filter, so
something like 99.7 percent of this stuff just goes right into my
mail client's trash bin (including the "almost" irresistible offers
for enlarging anatomy that I don't even have in the first place). ^_-
I did see this "Price" message, because I have this group
white-listed in my K9 program.

IMO, if one really *needs* an AV program, one is doing something
wrong in the first place.  ^^_^^  (I'll allow that a trusted friend
could unknowingly send a bad file, but I've never had it happen yet.)
I have an AV program, and it's updated regularly, but it sits
silently day after day and year after year, except when I
deliberately test it.  I just don't let things even get to the point
where the AV program has to protect me.

You are darned right about hard drives, BTW.  It's not a matter of
'if', only a matter of 'when'.  A partition imaging program (and a
removable or external USB drive) I would rate as a greater necessity
than an AV program, but that's simply because I pretty much know what
I'm doing attachment- and e-mail-wise. But there's no defense
against, "Mr. Drive Head, meet Ms. Platter."  ^^_^^

Yuki