[amibroker] Re: Help with DateTime() Funcion

German,

There are TWO different kinds of margins.

1. MarginRequirement that is applied on ACCOUNT level
http://www.amibroker.com/guide/w_settings.html
Margin requirement
This setting defines percentage margin requirement for entire account. The default value of Margin requirement is 100. This means
that you have to provide 100% funds to enter the trade, and this is the way how backtester worked in previous versions. But now you
can simulate a margin account. When you buy on margin you are simply borrowing money from your broker to buy stock. With current
regulations you can put up 50% of the purchase price of the stock you wish to buy and borrow the other half from your broker. To
simulate this just enter 50 in the Margin requirement field (see pic. 1) . If your intial equity is set to 10000 your buying power
will be then 20000 and you will be able to enter bigger positions. Please note that this settings sets the margin for entire account
and it is NOT related to futures trading at all. In other words you can trade stocks on margin account.

2.
MarginDeposit
(for trading FUTURES)
http://www.amibroker.com/guide/h_futbacktest.html

Latter could be changed on PER SYMBOL basis.

Margin deposit

The margin is the amount of money required to open single contract position. You can specify per-symbol margin in the
Symbol-Information page (picture above). Positive values describe margin value in dollars, while negative express margin value as
percentage of contract price. Margin value of zero is used for stocks (no margin). Margin can be also specified in the formula by
using MarginDeposit reserved variable:

  MarginDeposit = 675;

In the Futures mode margin setting is used to determine how many contacts can be purchased. Let's suppose that your initial equity
is set to $50000 and you want to invest upto 20% of equity in single trade and the margin deposit is $675. In that case your
"desired" position size is 50'000 * 0.2 = 10'000. Provided that you have set round lot size to 1, the backtester will "buy"
10000/675 = (integer)14.8148 = 14 contracts, and true positon value will be $9450 (18.9% of the initial equity).

To simulate this in AmiBroker you would need to enter 50000 in the Initial Equity field in the backtester, switch on futures mode,
and setup remaining parameters in your formula:

  PositionSize = -20; // use 20% of equity
  MarginDeposit = 675; // this you can set also in the Symbol-Information page
  RoundLotSize = 1; // this you can set also in the Settings page

All further trades will use the same logic but position will be sized according to current cumulated equity instead of initial
equity level, unless you specify fixed position size in your formula ( PositionSize = 10000 for example).

Best regards,
Tomasz Janeczko
amibroker.com
PS. If you received other information from Marcin, please forward
me his response, because in that case I would need to educate him more.