[amibroker] Re: symbol lists

It appears that backtesting against both Yahoo and eSignal databases
outside the 120 eSignal intraday range gives results that are very
similar (but not identical). Outside the 120 day range, I also see
the OHLC are the same on the charts for both databases (spot checking
only).

Within the 120 range, however, the OHLC show differently within the
daily charts and it appears the eSignal values might be taken from
sometime in the last hour of trading (?). It is within the 120 range
that the backtest buy and sell points start to diverge.

I could probably dig deeper but I have to leave for an appointment.

Dan

Once I get inside the intraday range,

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "ed" <ed2000nl@xxxx> wrote:
> you can simply test what the problem could be. Do a backtest over a
limited period and compare the trades.

> One thing that could have gone wrong is that you pad with the same
symbol (see AA, settings, Pad and align data).

> But in general to find what the problem could be you have to start
comparing the trades you get for the different databases and go from
there,

> rgds, Ed

Yahoo
>   and
>   > eSignal EOD databases?
>   >
>   > I would expect them to be close (acknowledging things like
splits
>   and
>   > data errors might be handled differently), but my results
aren't
>   even
>   > close.
>   >
>   > One test from August 1999 to date gave the following results.
>   >
>   > Yahoo:   Annual return = 66.71%, number of trades = 2287.
>   > eSignal: Annual return = 52.05%, number of trades = 3977.
>   >
>   > Although the eSignal data costs $$$, frankly I think I trust
the
>   > Yahoo data more. I've reported problems with the determinism of
the
>   > eSignal data before and haven't gotten any satisfactory
feedback.
>   > (Example: Not forcing backfill on all stocks to the same date
even
>   > though the data does exist).
>   >
>   > Which data should I believe? Or, maybe, are both sets of data
okay
>   > and it's a matter of the backtest code not working properly?
>   > Backtesting is the ONLY reason I want to use Amibroker but I'm
>   about
>   > ready to give up on it.
>   >
>   > I'd be interested in anybody else's experiences on either data
>   > reliability or backtest reliability/determinism.
>   >
>   > Dan
>

>   Check AmiBroker web page at:
>   http://www.amibroker.com/