[amibroker] Re: A problem with DAX & Amiquote

Tomasz,
I do not think it is correct to "add" the required bars, it does not
make sense [in my opinion].
In the

for(i=10;i<=100;i=i+1)
{
y=StochD(i);AddColumn(y,"");
}
Filter=1;

we read that we need 5581 past quotes [!!] and in the

for(i=10;i<=100;i=i+10)
{
y=StochD(i);AddColumn(y,"");
}
Filter=1;

we need 640 past quotes.
The maximum required bars [136=100+3+3+30] would be closer to
reality, instead of the addition.
But, if you do not want to discuss it, there is no problem.
Dimitris Tsokakis
> Dimitris,
>
> This is all correct.
>
> LastValue - references all future quotes (because on the very first
bar it looks at the very last available (FUTURE) bar)
> As for requirements for StochD - when you call the function inside
the loop
> - you effectively call StochD many times -
> so the requirements are ADDED UP for each and every function
called, as described in my previous e-mail.

> As written below: the requirement counting sums up all individual
function requirements (in each call).
> This usually gives higher than absolute minimum, but this is good
because it is better to
> use a bit more bars than a bit less.
>
> Note also: QuickAFL is internal AB stuff. I have provided the
description for reference only.

<amibroker@xxxx>
> > wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Warning: this is an advanced topic and beginners should skip
this
> > post entirely.
----
> > ----------------------
> > >
> > > A few words about why using SetBarsRequired is superior to
turning
> > QuickAFL off.
> > >
> > > Just Quick Fact first:
> > >
> > > There is NO difference between turning OFF QuickAFL and
> > > adding SetBarsRequired( 1000000, 1000000) at the top of your
formula
> > > except the latter allows you to do disable QuickAFL feature on
PER-
> > FORMULA level (which is better).
> > > So SetBarsRequired allows to selectively turn off QuickAFL
without
> > affecting
> > > the performance of ALL indicators.
> > >
> > > You can also use
> > > SetBarsRequired( 530, 0 );
> > > if you do not want to turn off quickafl at all but just provide
> > extra 500 past bars
> > > (AB "internally" adds 30 bars at start anyway when no
> > SetBarsRequired is used
> > > - hence 500 vs. 530 specified)
> > >
> > > Now a few more words how QuickAFL (and AA "Check") function
works

> > > (I have explained it already here:
beta/message/1123
> [...]
> > >
> > > (FYI: QuickAFL is described in the User's Guide: Preferences
window:
> > > Enable QuickAFL(tm) for indicators - this turns on QuickAFL(tm)
> > feature that
> > > causes faster charts redraws. QuickAFL works so it
> > > calculates only part of the array that is currently visible. If
you
> > use this
> > > feature and your formulas are script based you should
> > > add SetBarsRequired function to your code. Recommended
especially
> > when you work
> > > with data that have more than 10000 bars. )
> > >
> > > To calculate number of bars required to calculate formula
> > > AmiBroker internally uses two variables 'backward ref'
and 'forward
> > ref'.
> > >
> > > 'backward ref' describes how many PREVIOUS bars are needed to
> > calculate
> > > the value for today, and 'forward ref' tells how many FUTURE
bars
> > are needed
> > > to calculate value for today.
> > >
> > > When plotting indicators AB takes FIRST visible bar and
> > subtracts 'backward ref"
> > > and takes LAST visible bar and adds 'forward ref' to calculate
> > first and last
> > > bar
> > > needed for calculation of the formula.
> > >
> > > Now every AMiBroker's built -in function is written so that it
adds
> > > its own requirements to those variables.
> > >
> > > So for example when parser scans the formula like this:
> > >
> > > buy = C > Ref ( MA( C, 40 ), -1 );
> > >
> > > it analyses it and "sees" the
> > > MA with parameter 40.
> > > It knows that simple moving average of period 40 requires 40
past
> > bars
> > > and zero future bars to calculate correctly so it does the
> > following (all
> > > internally):
> > >
> > > BackwardRef = BackwardRef + 40;
> > > ForwardRef = ForwardRef + 0;
> > >
> > > Now it sees Ref( .., -1 );
> > >
> > > It knows that Ref with shift of -1 requires 1 past bar and zero
> > future bars
> > > so it "accumulates" requirements this way:
> > >
> > > BackwardRef = BackwardRef + 1;
> > > ForwardRef = ForwardRef + 0;
> > >
> > > So it ends up with
> > > BackwardRef = 41;
> > > ForwardRef = 0;
> > >
> > > AND THESE VALUES are used in the "CHECK" dialog.
> > >
> > > To make sure that simple for loops that reference few past bars
do
> > not need to
> > > call SetBarsRequired
> > > AmiBroker automatically adds 30 to BackwardRef just in case.
> > >
> > > That's why the CHECK dialog will tell you that the formula
> > > buy = C > Ref ( MA( C, 40 ), -1 );
> > >
> > > requires 71 past bars and 0 future bars.
> > >
> > > You can modify it to:
> > > buy = C > Ref ( MA( C, 50 ), -2 );
> > >
> > > and it will tell you that it requires 82 past bars (30+50+2)
and