[amibroker] CSI 278 dropped stocks, 280 doesn't work, talk to Steve at CSI

  • To: <amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [amibroker] Re: Example of buying top N stocks ranked by some metric - no takers?
  • From: "Dave Merrill" <dmerrill@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 05:53:11 -0700

<SPAN
class=224414412-21062004>Thanks for confirming that I wasn't missing something
about what ApplyStop can do. I realize that this type of stop may not turn out
to be more profitable than a standard trailing stop, but that's what testing is
for (:-).
<SPAN
class=224414412-21062004>
<SPAN
class=224414412-21062004>It would be great if there was a way to use ApplyStop
to check closing prices only, and exit at the open of the next day. Maybe just
add another value for ExitAtStop that means 'Check closing prices only, exit
with regular trade delay at regular exit price'. There might be some more
generic way to parameterize it that would provide additional flexibility, but
that one addition would cover what I'd typically do in
practice.
<SPAN
class=224414412-21062004>
<SPAN
class=224414412-21062004>Dave Merrill
<BLOCKQUOTE

  - When the current bar's price isn't driving the stop higher (for
  longs),> the stop should rise by itself, at y% per bar, somewhat like
  SAR stops. The> idea is to avoid sitting in a trading range that isn't
  making any profit or> hitting stops.>   This is quite
  doable in an AFL loop; I have it coded, and use it in other>
  situations. However, it needs to know when and at what price it
  entered,> which isn't known when our code runs in rotational
  mode.> > - My understanding is that dynamic stop settings (like
  ATR multiples or> other variable calculations) aren't supported in
  rotational mode. When I set> the 'volatile' parameter to true in
  rotational mode, I get this error:> "Variable stops are not supported
  in Rotational Trading mode".> Yes the stop that varies the
  "amount" from bar to bar is not supported in rotational mode.Apparently
  you case is destined for "manual" implementation (i.e. Osaka)But is it
  worth it?What I can tell you is that in my opinion you would not get any
  better resultwith trailing stop that additionally rises by itself
  comparing to plain trailing stop.Generally the more tight stop - the worse
  net profit is. Why ? It's plain simple: stops reduce risk if you reduce
  risk you also reduce profits.Max loss / trailing stops are good if
  your system generates great profits but has unacceptabledrawdown. Then
  stops can be used to improve system by lowering drawdowns(profit will go
  down too but profit/drawdown ratio may improve)So just backtest your
  system using rotational mode and regular trailing stop.If it does not
  generate decent profit then it is not worth to bother at all.Only when it
  generates great profits and you want just to improve drawdowns it is
  worthto consider tighter stop.Best regards,Tomasz
  Janeczkoamibroker.com