Re: [amibroker] Another TimeFrame Problem

Hi Ed,

I did some testing of IQFeed used with AmiBroker (AB).

1) You cannot create more than one unique database in AB as long as
the database accesses IQFeed. This means you have to choose between
a unique EOD database, or a unique intraday database, but not both
(and I am not suggesting combining these two databases into a single
database, here).

2) I tried using a free Lycos EOD feed to use with a unique EOD
database in AB, but as long as I have created a unique intraday
database in AB setup to use IQFeed, I cannot access the Lycos feed
for EOD data. It may work the first time, but if you shut down and
try it again, it will not work the second time.

3) IQFeed is limited to 35,000 1-minute bars (24 days) or 1,000
daily bars (choose one of these, or choose hourly, 15-minute,
weekly, etc.). The 24 days worth of 1-minute data makes it difficult
to use 200-day or 50-day MAs (not enough data). Since you cannot use
an EOD database alongside an intraday database, you essentially
cannot do any reasonable EOD indicator analysis if you already have
created a unique intraday database.  In essence, the best approach
seems to be to use 1-hour or 15-minute data, although that may be
too confining as well.

4) I created a unique AB EOD database with IQFeed, using 200
symbols. I created another AB intraday database with IQFeed, using
300 different symbols (200 + 300 = 500 max symbols in IQFeed). Since
IQFeed does not allow multiple databases, the test failed.

All of this left me with a bad taste in my mouth. First off, I can't
believe none of this has been previously documented, anywhere, by
the IQFeed service. In addition, IQFeed's DLL files have a tendency
to corrupt AB when you test certain data scenarios. This means
repeatedly uninstalling, and then reinstalling AB and related
components, in order just to test the limitations of IQFeed.
Nevermind losing all of your custom charts and layouts in the
process, since a full AB reinstall (i.e., a complete deletion of the
files for whatever reason (someone smoking too much crack?).

I feel IQFeed is probably a good deal for the money, but without
proper documentation the service is a complete and absolute waste of
time. If everyone has to go through what I just went through to
understand the real limitations of the service when it's used with
AB, there are going to be a lot of ticked off IQFeed customers.

Time = money. You'd think the IQFeed people would figure this out
and use this high-level conceptual thought in their basic product
marketing strategy. Monkeys behind the wheel, over there,
apparently. Got any over-ripe bananas I can chuck at their freakin'
hollow heads?

Let me know if anyone can confirm any of my findings. I was using
the IQFeed.DLL plugin version 1.4.1 with IQFeed client version
2.2.7.2.

Spending the $100 or $150 a month for eSignal (500 symbols) is
probably entirely worth it, based on what I am finding with IQFeed.

Thanks,

Brian R.
Seattle, WA

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511