From: ronbo [mailto:ronbo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Sunday, April 18, 2004 12:40 PM
To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [amibroker] Helper duudes: Whadya say let's work up a to do
list for noob's ?--to dingo

yo dingo,
how is this progressing??

i had a problem solved by what is pretty simple coding by you experienced
guys, but not very clear to us noob's---the answer by Perry Lentine from my
post " How do i write the results of a scan or exploration to a
watchlists??"

"Using the Lastvalue() function and compare operator "==" seemed to do it.
The conditional IF needs to have numeric values to work properly."

i have some suggestions for you to help us noob's to understand "How" to
write code.

i think most folks can read the descriptions of the different, functions,
etc.  But trying to write the code with the restrictions is where i go
wrong.  i'll list some of the things which are not very clear:

1. the difference between "=" and "==".
2. the "legal" test conditions for "if else" and "IIF".
3. The "legal" operations of an "if else" and "IIF", after the tests.
4. Where a number shown as an Integer in the help file, truly needs to be an
Integer, rather than a variable.
5. Limitations of Filter.
there are plenty more examples of restrictions when writing code.

it is the flow, or the change of flow test which i personally find
confusing.  i look over others code, and i do not see what is wrong with
mine, but a list of "can" and "can not" ways to code the "if else" & "IIF"
would go a long way.

as an example--I know TJ has lots descriptions in the help file about how to
correctly use "IIF"---always use it to return a result to a variable.  But
what about TrueArray and FalseArray---what do they have to be, or perhaps
more importantly--what can they NOT be.

you Helper Duudes (yea in caps) take all these things for granted--it's
automatic for you, but us noob's have trouble grasping some of it.
danielwardadams posted he had his help manual printed at Kinko's and it
really helped him.  I too am going to have it printed this week, hopefully
with your list of "How to" i'll make plenty of notes.....

thanks for listening.
ron

---

at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511