[amibroker] invitation to MIDAS method of TA.

Better
:-)

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Fred
  [mailto:ftonetti@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]Sent: Monday, April 12, 2004 1:08
  PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: [amibroker] Re:
  Real-Time Trading System ExamplesMore ACCURATE
  results or BETTER results ?--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Herman
  van den Bergen" <psytek@xxxx> wrote:> Hello Fred, thanks for
  your comments. Obviously you have done your home work> and you have
  identified what data aspects are important for you, that is>
  exactly what I suggested people do.  We all trade different systems
  and for> anybody to imply/assume that their personal criteria have
  common value and> apply to others, without knowing what type of
  systems the others are using> makes no sense. I may be in the
  market a few hours after my signal while> others may stay in for a
  couple of weeks. The rules and criteria are not the> same.>
  > EOD prices give me more accurate results in my application, RT
  differences> of up to several percent can and have put me in the
  opposite position (TWS> data). This hasn't happened to me since I
  reverted to using EOD prices to> generate my major timing signals.
  Just play with the Stochastic and see how> one such deviation can
  have a forward effect on your chart and change your> signal a few
  bars after it happened.> > I don't know how the EOD values are
  calculated, i posted at various places> on the Internet but got no
  authoritive replies, just personal and subjective> opinions. EOD
  Open prices appear to have a built-in lagless smoothing> quality
  that I cannot duplicate in backtesting or trading using RT data.>
  Awhile back I posted a challenged for a RT formula that would generate
  a> Match for EOD prices... no replies, just defensive comments from
  those who> prefer to ignore the problem. I suspect EOD prices are
  defined/released by> the markets and make use of information that
  we do not have access to in> real time. Sometimes it is pretty hard
  to get to the bottom of things.> > Best regards,>
  herman.> > > > >   -----Original
  Message----->   From: Fred
  [mailto:ftonetti@xxxx]>   Sent: Monday, April 12, 2004 8:49
  Subject: [amibroker] Re: Real-Time Trading System Examples> >
  >   As I stated a year or so ago, not only do EOD prices
  differ from>   intraday prices with regards to the open, they
  differ regarding the>   close as well and in some cases
  with high and low.  I'm not sure why>   you think
  the EOD prices are more accurate, especially when it
  comes>   to what is reported for closing prices as these
  are typically>   settling prices that occur AFTER the close
  and are therefore NOT>   tradable, but if that's what you
  want to use, so be it.  They are>   however at best only
  meaningful when trading on delay i.e. buy/sell>   at
  tomorrows open NOT todays prices whether they are based on
  close>   or intraday as they aren't in print yet.
  From my perspective the>   only meaningful numbers are those
  related to intraday not EOD.> >   --- In
  amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Herman van den Bergen">
  <psytek@xxxx> wrote:>   > There is NO problem with
  how AmiBroker processes data and there is>
  NO>   > problem with Data Vendors, the price differences
  cannot be blamed on>   > anybody, they are simply a
  fact of market data.>   >>   > The
  differences become more important as your trades becomes>
  shorter, which>   > is the case when you migrate from EOD
  to RT (my situation). Another>
  factor>   > is whether you work with Indices, ETFs or
  Composites. The only way>   for you>
  > to know if/how you are effected is to do your own testing.
  Market>   data is>   > the foundation
  of all your trading systems and you should know what>
  you are>   > working with.>
  >>   > IMHO, Using EOD prices in your formulas is
  similar to>   using "smoothed" RT>   >
  prices however the advantage of using EOD Prices is that it
  gives>   you more>   > accuracy in
  backtesting and has no lag. My limited experience is>   that
  EOD>   > Open prices are released within the first second
  after the Open (no>   lag),>   >
  tracking this price from the eSignal EOD server starts at
  09:18:00>   and it>   > often zeroes
  in on the real Open price well before 9:30:00 a.m.>
  >>   > Below are some examples, comparing QP2 with
  eSignal RT.>   > take care,>   >
  herman>   >>
  >       Ticker Date/Time EOD-Open RT-Open
  %Difference>   >       AAPL
  03/08/04 26.79 26.62 0.63%>
  >       AAPL 12/16/03 20.19 20.08
  0.54%>   >       AAPL
  03/30/04 27.86 27.72 0.50%>
  >       AAPL 12/15/03 21.49 21.39
  0.47%>   >       AAPL
  02/18/04 23.18 23.08 0.43%>
  >       AAPL 03/19/04 25.7 25.59
  0.43%>   >       AAPL
  12/12/03 21.32 21.23 0.42%>
  >       AAPL 12/17/03 20.08 20
  0.40%>   >       AAPL
  01/30/04 22.74 22.65 0.40%>
  >       AAPL 03/18/04 25.94 25.85
  0.35%>   >>
  >       Ticker Date/Time EOD-Open RT-Open
  %Difference>   >       YHOO
  03/19/04 46.54 44.93 3.46%>
  >       YHOO 11/14/03 42.88 42.66
  0.51%>   >       YHOO
  01/13/04 49.95 49.73 0.44%>
  >       YHOO 03/04/04 43.46 43.34
  0.28%>   >       YHOO
  01/02/04 45.5 45.38 0.26%>
  >       YHOO 03/01/04 44.52 44.41
  0.25%>   >       YHOO
  02/25/04 44.39 44.31 0.18%>
  >       YHOO 01/29/04 46.57 46.49
  0.17%>   >       YHOO
  02/11/04 47.03 46.95 0.17%>
  >       YHOO 02/13/04 47.61 47.54
  0.15%>   >>
  >       Ticker Date/Time EOD-Open RT-Open
  %Difference>   >       QCOM
  03/16/04 64 63.16 1.31%>
  >       QCOM 02/05/04 56.52 55.95
  1.01%>   >       QCOM
  10/21/03 45.39 44.95 0.97%>
  >       QCOM 12/19/03 51.72 51.56
  0.31%>   >       QCOM
  03/17/04 64.74 64.54 0.31%>
  >       QCOM 11/04/03 47.74 47.6
  0.29%>   >       QCOM
  12/12/03 50.18 50.05 0.26%>
  >       QCOM 03/01/04 63.39 63.25
  0.22%>   >       QCOM
  11/20/03 45.56 45.48 0.18%>
  >       QCOM 02/17/04 58.09 58
  0.15%>   >>   >>
  >>   >   -----Original
  Message----->   >   From: Tomasz Janeczko
  [mailto:amibroker@xxxx]>   >   Sent: Monday,
  April 12, 2004 5:26 AM>   >   To:
  amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>   >   Subject: Re:
  [amibroker] Re: Real-Time Trading System Examples>
  >>   >   Hello,>
  >>   >   I have already wrote that accessing
  DAILY data in intraday>   database is OF>
  > COURSE POSSIBLE.>   >   Use TimeFrame
  functions or just switch periodicity in AA Settings>
  window>   > to DAILY.>
  >>   >   The fact that data on EOD eSignal
  server are different than time>   > compressed data on
  intraday eSignal server>   >   is NOT the
  problem of AmiBroker. This is because how exchanges>   report
  EOD>   > data and actually>
  >   time-compressed intraday data provide ACCURATE picture -
  because>   they>   > represent REAL
  trades that occured>   >   during REAL trading
  session.>   >   And represent prices that your
  orders could actually be filled at.>   >
  =======================================>
  >>   >   Mixing data from eSignal daily and
  intraday servers would result>   in>
  > infinite confusion becuase>   >   close at
  16:00 would could be DIFFERENT depending what viewing>
  interval>   > you choose.>
  >>   >   Also problems appear with OPEN price
  as it is NOT possible to>   trade>   >
  exactly on open on certain exchanges.>   >   For
  example on Nasdaq you can not place real "market on open">
  order>   >   see for
  example:>   >>   >>
  <A
  href="">http://www.interactivebrokers.com/html/tradingInfo/orders/MarketOpenCl>
  oseOrd>   > ersSimulated.html>
  >>   >   so you can not get filled at open
  (Market On Open orders>   are "simulated">
  > on Nasdaq by placing market order within first 30 seconds of
  trading>   > session)>
  >   Considering this what's the purpose of using EOD open when
  you>   can not get>   > filled at this
  price.>   >   Using real intraday data gives you
  much better robustness of your>
  backtest>   > (you can calculate for example the
  average>   >   price of first 1 minute of
  trading and enter on that price)>   >>
  >   And of course your system seems to be way to sensitive to
  be>   successful in>   > real life if it
  yields so much different>   >   results when
  daily prices differ by such small amounts. You>   should
  really>   > add at least 0.2% for slippage to
  treat>   >   the backtest with minimum amount of
  credibility.>   >>   >
  Best regards,>   >   Tomasz
  Janeczko>   >
  amibroker.com>   >     ----- Original
  Message ----->   >     From: Herman
  van den Bergen>   >     To:
  amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>   >
  Sent: Monday, April 12, 2004 4:06 AM>
  >     Subject: RE: [amibroker] Re: Real-Time Trading
  System Examples>   >>
  >>   >     In simple situations you
  only have to run the EOD version once>   a day
  to>   > generate the table. But during development i work
  with different>   systems and>   >
  watchlists, so I may want to generate many different
  tradelists>   during the>   > day and i
  shuffle back and forth between EOD and RT.>
  >>   >     If we could access both
  the RT and EOD database at the same>   time
  from>   > the RT version (Not possible right now) many
  problems would be>   solved.>   > However
  there are other reasons why creating a file with AA>
  statistics and>   > having a means to read the Stats back
  would be handy....for example>   you>
  > could use two-pass Backtests and use stats from the first pass
  in>   the second>   > in Scoring and
  PositionSize formulas, or plot the statistics from>
  > indicators, show complex trade stats on the screen or
  in>   Interpretation>   > windows from
  the chart, analyze portfolio trades, etc. Remember>   that
  such a>   > table offers a form of Persistent memory that
  can be acessed by>   successive>   > AA
  operations.>   >>
  >     I have not had an occassion where i needed the
  EOD version to>   access the>   > RT
  version.>   >>
  Message----->   >