[amibroker] Random entries

Kevin, I don't mean to give you a hard time,
but I thought people were headed in *exactly* the direction you're talking
about, examples. See the two replies below, for instance.

If you want a book you can buy at Amazon, I
don't know of any books on AFL outside of the docs. If you find one, go for it;
you don't need the blessings of anyone here. If you think AFL is enough like C++
that learning C++ too on your way is your best shot, knock yourself out; there
are certainly plenty of books out there on C++.

<SPAN
class=205005203-05042004>However, this group is a great resource, and if someone
here has the bandwidth to put together a series of AFL step-by-steps, I bet
it'd be very helpful to people just getting started.

Dave

> I would suggest NOT more reading - there's too much of that
> already - but a
> series of exercises that newbies can work through in their own brand
new
> copies of AmiBroker, much as William Peters does with the Tutorials
for
> Beginners on the AmiTools website. Step 1: . . .; Step 2: . . .;

> Step 3: .
> . . The exercises should give the beginner practice in all of the main

> areas of AB.
>
> I think most of us learn by doing. We don't want to sit down and study
> text as if for a college exam.
>
> HHP

> Dear old Technifilter Plus did it very well. (Right, Bob J?). Chapter
3
> of the TF+ Program Guide consists of Sample Sessions: Filtering,
Testing,
> Optimization, Creating Strategies and Basket Testing, Automation.
Canned
> sample data came with the program, so that the results of each
> exercise are
> reproducible. Each sample session has step-by-step instructions
> of what to
> enter, what buttons to click on. There are illustrations of
> the dialogue
> boxes at each step so that one can compare one's own screen with the

> illustration.
>
> HHP

<BLOCKQUOTE

  <FONT
  face=Tahoma>-----Original Message-----From: Kevin243@xxxxxxx
  [mailto:Kevin243@xxxxxxx]Sent: Sunday, April 04, 2004 11:42
  PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: Re: [amibroker]
  Re: Helper duudes: Whadya say let's work up a to do list
  for...

  I asked a simple question and got a lot of answers that have nothing to
  do with the question I asked.  You don't know me, so how do you know what
  I need.  Does anybody know of a good book that comes close to AFL?
  What's missing in the documentation is examples.  That's how you learned
  things in school - working through examples and finally creating your own
  routines to solve new problems.  That was true for basic Addition math
  all the way through Differential Equations.

  Two salesmen in Best Buy kept telling me the print cartridges they handed
  me would work in my printer today.  I kept telling them no, they won't
  work.  They talked me into trying them.

  Of course they didn't work......

  Kevin
Campbell