  >From:
  bruce1r
  To: <A title=amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  href="">amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 1:25
  AM
  Subject: [amibroker] Re: Sector Trading
  (Pankin and Yurconis Approaches)
  Joe -Was checking in while in Dallas and saw your
  note.  I thought that you might also point them at Ron Rowland at the
  link below.  <A
  href="">http://www.allstarinvestor.com/ASFT/welcome.aspHe
  has a long history tracked by Hulbert and a fair amount of information on
  methodology on his site.<A
  href="">http://www.allstarinvestor.com/help/UG_Tools.aspHis
  12/90 - 1/04 ANN was reported at 22.9%.  I'm not defending him, but
  there are some things to keep in mind when comparing him or Pankin to the
  theoretical back results of ManageMyFunds.  Rowland and Pankin traded
  Fidelity Selects with the .75% short term trading ding, and the 3%
  front-end load.  Plus, Fidelity Selects are terrible performers
  relative to the underlying sector indices.  Without the 3% issue
  anymore, Rowland can update his strategy to include other ETF's and funds,
  including short funds.  We'll have to ask him the next time he talks
  in Houston.-- Bruce--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Joe
  Landry" <jelandry@xxxx> wrote:> B and Dingo - Glad you followed
  up on Mark Pankin's site.    I heard him speak in Houston
  in 1996 or 97 and still have an Excel sheet that I used for a whiile. His
  talks were just as straight forward as the content of his web site
  indicates. Must come from being a good teacher.   >
  > Thanks for the managemyfunds site. Will check it out.>
  > When you look at the return curves you've got to remember the
  trading strategy was done with a once a week sampling of the price..
  The price of the select fund was recorded as of close Friday and the
  rankings were done and decisions were made for Monday.  The
  parameters now are proprietary but at the time a 3 week and a 8 week
  rankings was applied, there was a 5 week hold period to avoid the .75%
  hickey that Fidelity would impose, but he says that on average his
  research shows the fund hold time should be 5 weeks even if no penalty was
  imposed.    > As far as the 3-8 week, the times "they
  have a changed" since 1996 as far as volatility and Fidelity Select Fund
  performance goes.  > > Joe L. > > ---
  Original Message ----- >   From: b >   To:
  amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx >   Sent: Monday, March 29, 2004
  12:19 PM>   Subject: Re: [amibroker] Re: Sector Trading
  (Pankin and Yurconis Approaches)> > >
  Joe,> >   Thanks for the URL to an interesting site.
  Pankin seems>   like a level headed guy. His material is so
  clearly>   presented and free from mathematical detail I
  never would>   have guessed he has a Ph.D. in
  mathemetics.> >   As for his sector rotation model,
  the results appear to>   average about 8% above his benchmark
  (about 18%/year vs>   10%/year for the S&P). However I do
  not like to see two>   back to back yearly losses of over 20%
  each (2001 and>   2002). That is a drawdown of over
  40%.> >   Hopefully we can use AB to develop something
  with a better>   profit and drawdown profile. For example,
  Dennis Yurconis>   has a method with a much smoother equity
  curve achieved by>   using 2 distinct methods of sector
  rotation - a momentum>   based method and a breakout method.
  Here is the URL>   performance charts for these sector
  methods.> >   <A
  href="">http://www.managemyfunds.com/sector_performance.htm]>
  >   b> >   --- Joe Landry
  <jelandry@xxxx> wrote:>   > I may be off the mark on
  this and it may not help you but>   > just in case you are
  not aware..here's some background on>   > switching
  Fidelity Select Funds. I heard Mark Pankin talk>   > many
  years ago about this approach. Has an interesting>   > and
  free web site. >   > >   > <A
  href="">http://www.pankin.com/select/method.htm>
  > >   > If you navigate around you'll see copies of his
  most>   > recent talks.  Seems like this organizes
  and approach to>   > using AB with ETF or other sector
  equities where the>   > limits of the Fidelity
  organization including the .75% or>   > the 5 week short
  term constraint does/would not apply. >   >
  >   > Joe Landry > > >
  >   __________________________________>   Do
  you Yahoo!?>   Yahoo! Finance Tax Center - File online. File
  on time.>   <A
  href="">http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html>
  > >   Send BUG REPORTS to
  bugs@xxxx>   Send SUGGESTIONS to
  suggest@xxxx>

  ADVERTISEMENT>

  >        > > >
  the Yahoo! Terms of Service.Send BUG REPORTS to
  bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxSend SUGGESTIONS to
  group FAQ at: <A