Re: [amibroker] Re: I need some loop-programming help

Whoa!!! I feel an obligation to correct the record because you and Pal
keep going on and on and clearly neither of you understands this
stuff.  More comments below.

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Herman van den Bergen"
<psytek@xxxx> wrote:
> Some time ago we had lengthy discussions on Von Tharp's theories.
If i
> recall correctly he treats the market like a Random phenomena

You recall incorrectly. On page 42 he specifically states "the markets
are not random."

> and bases all
> his statistical analysis on that. This is completely contradictory
to those
> of us who design mechanical trading systems that give 60-75% winning
trades,

There is *absolutely nothing at all* contradictory with "Von Tharp's
theories" <sic> and "mechanical trading systems that give 60-75%
winning trades."

> have well distributed and defined losing and winning streaks, and
have
> profit as well as stop control measures in place.
>
> At the time of the thread i bought and read his book "Trade your
way to
> finacial freedom". It was fun reading however I proved a number of
his
> assumptions wrong 'for my trading systems'; my systems are
definitely not
> random.

Where are you getting random systems from?  Van Tharp specifically
says that a system must have a positive expectancy to make money.  In
other words, an edge.  Nothing random about that.  Does this mean the
concept of randomness has no valid role to play?  Absolutely not.

>Testing several systems over 280,000 bars, with average trade
> durations from 2-10 bars his predictions for winning and losing
streaks for
> example was way off.

Huh?

>If you are interested you may search the archives, i
> posted some of my code used to analyze systems, as well as results
complete
> with charts on this list.
>
> Far too little time is spend on system analysis, way too much time
goes into
> driving profits up by optimization. All systems are different;
analyze your
> own systems, do not believe that anybody else can tell you have they
behave
> under various market conditions.

Again, you've totally missed the point.  I urge any new traders
reading this thread to read Van Tharp's book because the concepts
absolutely work if understood and applied properly.

> bets regards,
> herman.

Risk
>   ($ per Share) and Investment level (# Shares to buy.)  This is no
>   mean feat.  There is only one combination which is optimum.  Find
>   this combination and I would acknowledge that you are a Master and
>   you dont need to spend on anything else.  Here are the
instructions
> [...]
need
>   to start this level over again.  However, if you have made a
profit
>   that's less than 50%, you will then have another 25 trades to
reach
>   your goal of 50% to advance to the next level.
>
>   If you have a loss at the end of 75 trades, you will have to start
>   the level over again with a 10% penalty (subtracted from your
prior
>   starting equity).
>
>   The probabilities and payoffs for this level are given in the
>   statistics section of the game (in the View menu.)  We'd suggest
>   that you study them carefully and develop a strategy before you
>   begin the game.
>
>   Level Three
>

>   Questions & Answers
>
>   Question:
>   Why am I not allowed to go short?  I would be right 70% of the
>   time.  Isn't that what it's all about?
>
>   Response:
>   Hopefully you'll step out of the box of needing to be right by
>   playing this game.  You should be learning the importance of
large R-
>   multiples over being right.  Wait until you get a 30R or 20R trade
>   in your favor and see what that does for your account.  Or would
you
>   rather have that against you?  If being right is that important to
>   you, you'll have your chance to go against the expectancy in level
>   five.
>
>   Question:
>   What's a good strategy to play this game?
>
>   Response:
>   Figuring out a good strategy and learning from your mistakes is
one
>   of the skill requirements of this game.  What is your worst-case
>   loss?  It's four percent, so you'll risk bankruptcy by risking
over
>   25% on any trade.  Also think about how many losses you could have
>   in a row.  You're only right 30% of the time.  It's very likely
that
>   you might have 9 losses in a row in your 75 trades.  You might
even
>   have a streak of losses as big as 20 or more.  You need to play to
>   survive that you that you can make money on the 30R trades that
>   might come up.  With those two guidelines, design your own
strategy.

>   IITM also sells products designed to help you with strategy
>   development.  These include 1) the money management report; 2) a
>   newsletter issue devoted to optimal bet size; and 3) optimal bet
>   size software that will be available for purchase in mid-2002.
>
>   Question:
>   Once again, I don't have much information on any of these
>   investments or trades.  How am I to know which one's will go up?
>
>   Response:
>   You don't know what will go up, that's true.  But you do know the
>   payoffs and probabilities of the system you will be trading.
That's
> [...]
>   is designed to get you away from predicting the market and into
>   thinking about those strategies.
>
>   rgds, Pal
>
>   --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "relentless1000" <cgmv@xxxx>
wrote:
>   > I purchased the "Developing a winning trading system that fits
>   you"
>   > audio tape course back in December 03 (got it on sale for $699).
>   > Just as I've found with other books and courses its not a
>   blueprint
>   > for making a fortune, but I did come away learning a handful of
>   > helpful things.
>   >
>   > I found it a little pricey since it is an audio taped seminar.
>   The
>   > advertising for it says it's profesionally edited.  I found the
>   > recording to be of less quality than I expected.  Several times
>   > through the 12 tapes people in the seminar ask questions or make
>   > comments that you cannot hear well, sometimes even the
instructors
>   > cannot be heard for short periods until the microphone picks
them
>   > up.  Not a major problem but for ~ $ 700+, I expect a little
>   better
>   > job than this.
>   >
>   > The content is organized well and pretty informative, altough I
>   think
>   > for much less money you could buy some books and get pretty much
>   the
>   > same info.  I think if you studied Van's book "Trade your way to
>   > Financial Freedom" and Charles LeBeau's book "Computer Analysis
of
>   > the Futures Market" (Charles was a major part of the audio taped
>   > course, I found his input very helpful) you'd get a majority of
>   the
>   > technical content.
>   >
>   > Good Luck
>   >
>   > GV
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Al Venosa" <advenosa@xxxx>
>   wrote:
>   > > All of his stuff is pricey. I never took his peak performance
>   > course, but I know someone who did. He learned a lot about
himself
>   > when he went through it, but I don't think he is using much of
it
>   > today. Just like anything else. I don't think you are using much
>   of
>   > the stuff you learned in college today, either, but it was good
>   > training. You pays your money and you takes your chances, so
goes
>   the
>   > cliche. Why don't you call Van and ask him about his course
Terms
>   of
>   > Service.
>   > >