RE: [amibroker] I need some loop-programming help

<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>InLine...

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Pal Anand
  [mailto:palsanand@xxxxxxxxx]Sent: Monday, March 08, 2004 4:30
  PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: [amibroker] Re:
  Comments on Van Tharp courses please
  Hi Herman,I rearranged your reply for convenience.---
  In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Herman van den Bergen" <psytek@xxxx>
  wrote:> Thank you Pal,> > However i agree that some
  parts of MM are universal and make common sense.> Nevertheless I
  think that for short term trading (0-3 days) market> volatility and
  descretionary moves wipes out most of the multi-digit>
  precision/siginficance of MM; you have to develop your own and very
  personal> MM. There is no ready plan you can adopt.> I
  agree that MM is mostly common sense, however it applies equally to
  long-term, medium-term and short-term trading.  The duration of
  trading should make no difference.  If one is trading with the
  direction of the current trend, then the setup is a low risk setup.
  If one is able to identify low risk setups then one can survive
  anything the market throws at you, even overnight gaps, market
  volatility and discretionary moves.  Short-term profits without
  condisdering the long-term risk leads to long-term ruin... <SPAN
  class=828394622-08032004><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>

  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>All good comments, but there are so many ways to look at
  this.
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>imho MM is strongly related to trading systems. For example the risk of
  losing streaks that VT talks about, he based that risk on a Random market, if
  you have a system that only works on a few stocks and trades very slow then
  you have to work with that risk assessment. You simple do not have sufficient
  data to argue with Randomness.
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>On the other hand if you have a system that works on 25+ stocks and
  that trades every 1-3 days then i can have 25stocks * 5years *
  280tradingdays/1.5barspertrade = 23,000 trades to analyze and give me
  statistical confidence that my system is non-Random. With this amount of data
  I can generate a very nice distribution chart for winning and losing streaks.
  On that differ drastically from what VT shows.
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>The same goes for percentage winning/losing trades. With limited data
  you have to assume a Random market, however if you have lots of trades to
  analyze you can make nice distribution charts here too. I once posted a simple
  trading system that had well-defined losing and winning streaks, i was able to
  increase stakes progressively after losing streaks: profits went up.
  Traditional MM would argue with this approach. But for a well-designed and
  researched  system with suitable stats it
  works.
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  > interesting comments and URLs. Reading some of the text I feel
  even more> strongly that whatever MM you use is very much dictated
  by the type of> trading system you use. Some of the articles still
  seem to talk about> "investing", I am embarrassed to even use that
  word among my friends ;-)"One must measure what one might gain in
  the short run (Reward) by what one might lose in the long run
  (Risk)."  Why are long-term interest rates higher than the short-term
  interest rates?  What would happen if it is the other way?
  Think about it.  When one understands the significance of these,
  trading instead of being gambling, becomes investing for the
  long-run...<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>

  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>I agree that reward is proportional to risk, i can trade a system
  with a single stock and make double the profits I would make by trading a
  basket of 5 with the same system. But that is what trading is all about :-) we
  want to do a little better than interest rates and are willing to take a
  calculated risk to attain that.
  <SPAN
  class=828394622-08032004><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>best regards,
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff