[amibroker] Re: Suggestions/Enhancements

Some
time ago we had lengthy discussions on Von Tharp's theories. If i recall
correctly he treats the market like a Random phenomena and bases all his
statistical analysis on that. This is completely contradictory to those of us
who design mechanical trading systems that give 60-75% winning trades, have well
distributed and defined losing and winning streaks, and have profit as well
as stop control measures in place.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
At the
time of the thread i bought and read his book "Trade your way to finacial
freedom". It was fun reading however I proved a number of his assumptions wrong
'for my trading systems'; my systems are definitely not random. Testing several
systems over 280,000 bars, with average trade durations from 2-10 bars his
predictions for winning and losing streaks for example was way off. If you
are interested you may search the archives, i posted some of my code used to
analyze systems, as well as results complete with charts on this
list.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
Far
too little time is spend on system analysis, way too much time goes into
driving profits up by optimization. All systems are different; analyze your own
systems, do not believe that anybody else can tell you have they behave under
various market conditions.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
bets
regards,
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>herman.

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Pal Anand
  [mailto:palsanand@xxxxxxxxx]Sent: Sunday, March 07, 2004 4:34
  PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: [amibroker] Re:
  Comments on Van Tharp courses pleaseI downloaded the
  free "Secrets of the Masters Game" and played with it.  The first 2
  levels are a piece of cake.  The 3rd level is difficult, but in only
  3 trials out of 75 I finished it.  I think I have unlocked the secret
  code for the right combination of the Risk ($ per Share) and Investment
  level (# Shares to buy.)  This is no mean feat.  There is only
  one combination which is optimum.  Find this combination and I would
  acknowledge that you are a Master and you dont need to spend on anything
  else.  Here are the instructions to download and for the
  game:<A
  href="">http://www.iitm.com./_vti_bin/shtml.dll/regform.htmPosition
  Sizing™: The Secretsof the Masters Trading GameInstructions for Level
  ThreeThis level is similar to level one.  You are given a trading
  system that goes long in the market.  Your only choice is to decide
  how much to risk for each trade.  That's it!  You simply decide
  how much to risk.  Overall, level two is an even better system than
  level one gave you.  Over many trials, your expectancy will be 0.91
  as compared with 0.45 for the first level.Now that you've reached
  this level, we recommend that you begin by saving the game.  If you
  should go bankrupt, you will have to start again at the beginning of the
  game if you don't have a saved game at this level.  However, we hope
  you can get through the game without going bankrupt.Once again,
  you will have the opportunity to make 75 trades.  Your minimum goal
  is to make a profit of 50% by the end of the 75 trades so that you can
  advance to level four.  However, you will automatically advance to
  level three should you increase your equity by 500% from the starting
  value.If you have not made a profit at the end of 75 trades, you will
  need to start this level over again.  However, if you have made a
  profit that's less than 50%, you will then have another 25 trades to reach
  your goal of 50% to advance to the next level.If you have a loss
  at the end of 75 trades, you will have to start the level over again with
  a 10% penalty (subtracted from your prior starting equity).The
  probabilities and payoffs for this level are given in the statistics
  section of the game (in the View menu.)  We'd suggest that you study
  them carefully and develop a strategy before you begin the
  game.Level ThreeQuestions &
  AnswersQuestion:Why am I not allowed to go short?  I would be
  right 70% of the time.  Isn't that what it's all
  about?Response:Hopefully you'll step out of the box of needing to
  be right by playing this game.  You should be learning the importance
  of large R-multiples over being right.  Wait until you get a 30R or
  20R trade in your favor and see what that does for your account.  Or
  would you rather have that against you?  If being right is that
  important to you, you'll have your chance to go against the expectancy in
  level five.Question:What's a good strategy to play this
  game?Response:Figuring out a good strategy and learning from your
  mistakes is one of the skill requirements of this game.  What is your
  worst-case loss?  It's four percent, so you'll risk bankruptcy by
  risking over 25% on any trade.  Also think about how many losses you
  could have in a row.  You're only right 30% of the time.  It's
  very likely that you might have 9 losses in a row in your 75 trades.
  You might even have a streak of losses as big as 20 or more.  You
  need to play to survive that you that you can make money on the 30R trades
  that might come up.  With those two guidelines, design your own
  strategy.IITM also sells products designed to help you with strategy
  development.  These include 1) the money management report; 2) a
  newsletter issue devoted to optimal bet size; and 3) optimal bet size
  software that will be available for purchase in
  mid-2002.Question:Once again, I don't have much information on any
  of these investments or trades.  How am I to know which one's will go
  up?Response:You don't know what will go up, that's true.  But
  you do know the payoffs and probabilities of the system you will be
  trading.  That's all you need to know to figure out to work out bet
  sizing strategies.  Those strategies are the key to success and this
  game is designed to get you away from predicting the market and into
  thinking about those strategies. rgds, Pal--- In
  amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "relentless1000" <cgmv@xxxx> wrote:> I
  purchased the "Developing a winning trading system that fits you" >
  audio tape course back in December 03 (got it on sale for $699).
  > Just as I've found with other books and courses its not a
  blueprint > for making a fortune, but I did come away learning a
  handful of > helpful things. > > I found it a little
  pricey since it is an audio taped seminar.  The > advertising
  for it says it's profesionally edited.  I found the > recording to
  be of less quality than I expected.  Several times > through the
  12 tapes people in the seminar ask questions or make > comments that
  you cannot hear well, sometimes even the instructors > cannot be heard
  for short periods until the microphone picks them > up.  Not a
  major problem but for ~ $ 700+, I expect a little better > job than
  this.> > The content is organized well and pretty informative,
  altough I think > for much less money you could buy some books and
  get pretty much the > same info.  I think if you studied Van's
  book "Trade your way to > Financial Freedom" and Charles LeBeau's book
  "Computer Analysis of > the Futures Market" (Charles was a major part
  of the audio taped > course, I found his input very helpful) you'd get
  a majority of the > technical content.> > Good
  Luck> > GV  > > > > >
  --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Al Venosa" <advenosa@xxxx>
  wrote:> > All of his stuff is pricey. I never took his peak
  performance > course, but I know someone who did. He learned a lot
  about himself > when he went through it, but I don't think he is using
  much of it > today. Just like anything else. I don't think you are
  using much of > the stuff you learned in college today, either, but
  it was good > training. You pays your money and you takes your chances,
  so goes the > cliche. Why don't you call Van and ask him about his
  course > offerings? > > > > Al V.>
  Greg > >   To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx >
  >   Sent: Saturday, March 06, 2004 10:56 AM>
  >   Subject: Re: [amibroker] Comments on Van Tharp courses
  please> > > > > >   Al and
  Phil,> > > >   Thanks for your comments on Van
  Tharps' courses. I was wondering > if you know anything about his
  Peak Performance Course for Investors > and Traders. It looks
  interesting, although a little pricey. I know > of people paying
  much more for a personal adviser that works with > them on some of the
  areas that Tharp deals with, such as making a > business plan. Seems
  like Tharp goes into areas that will > psychologically prepare you for
  trading. I guess I'll have to read > through the description of the
  course more thoroughly and then decide > if I it would be
  worthwhile for me.> > > >   Thanks again for
  your comments,> > > >   Greg>
  2.5 years ago. > Don't even know if he still offers it. Although I
  enjoyed it > immensely, especially all the money management material,
  the main > lecturer, Dennis Ullom, was a CANSLIM trader of sorts. Since
  I'm more > of a mechanical trading system type of person, I didn't
  get that much > out of his presentations because a lot of that sort
  of trading > philosophy is discretionary, or at least subjective
  judgment. If > that's your thing, then you will likely get a lot more
  out of it than > I did. But I thought the money management stuff
  was very worthwhile. > For about $80, you could buy Van's Report on
  Money Management plus > his book "Trade Your Way to Financial Freedom"
  and learn all you need > about money management for a fraction of
  the price of his course, > IMO. > > >
  >     Regards,> > >
  >     Al Venosa>
  taken any of the courses > offered by Van Tharp. If so could you
  please comment on there > helpfulness. > > >
  bugs@xxxx> >       Send SUGGESTIONS to
  suggest@xxxx> >

  suggest@xxxx> >

  >   Send BUG REPORTS to bugs@xxxx> >   Send