Re: [amibroker] Updating eSignal database

<BLOCKQUOTE

  ----- Original Message -----
  <DIV
  >From:
  DIMITRIS
  TSOKAKIS
  To: <A title=amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  href="">amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Saturday, February 21, 2004 3:18
  AM
  Subject: [amibroker] Re: Sigma
Bands

  Wayne,Sorry, I can not agree that the history of the signals is
  meaningless.I need always to check any trading idea from its past
  behavior.

  Spoken like a
  true system trader.  However, looking at Maggio's description of the
  bands it is not clear to me that there should be any change as new data is
  added, reflecting the fact that the bands are simply the sigma of the % change
  of the data from the CMA.  This is a bar by bar calculation
  that does not change as new data is added.  Perhaps, as you suggest,
  the problem lies in the way CMA is calculated by
  the code.  If so there must be a way around this problem, as
  evidenced by the fact that a manual calculation of CMA does not look into
  the future but simply centers a MA within the incremental period of another
  MA.  So one needs to make code duplicate the manual calculation which is
  straightforward.  Does not sound like rocket science.
  And extrapolation of the CMA does not change its previously
  established values.  However, even when things are working
  right neither Sigma Bands or Hurst Channels by themselves provide a
  mechanical buy/sell signal.  No problem for discretionary traders but
  system traders will need some "antacid" in order to avoid
  heartburn.  LOL.
  <FONT
  color=#800000 size=2>Dimitris Tsokakis>
  Dimitris,> > I think you don't get that 'signals of the past'
  are in the past. It's > history and as such is meaningless. Hurst
  developed his work before > computers had the power to do billions of
  computations per second. > Therefore, the idea of backtesting his work
  is a waste of time.> > The Sigma Bands we are discussing seem to
  be a derivative of the Hurst > Dependency Envelopes, so ably
  programmed by Ace... and much appreciated > too. I feel there is
  nothing at all to be gained from 1) looking into > the past or 2)
  trying to guess the future.  I want to know what is > happening
  right now. The Sigma Bands MAY offer some insight into what > the
  market is saying now, but should never be used to trade any market
  > by themselves. This information should always be used as
  confirmation of > other indicators and trading techniques.>
  > Computers will never replace the human brain.> >
  WayneSend BUG REPORTS to <A
  href="">bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxSend SUGGESTIONS to
  <A
  href="">suggest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx-----------------------------------------Post
  AmiQuote-related messages ONLY to: <A
  href="">amiquote@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Web
  page: <A
  group FAQ at: <A
  Yahoo! Groups Links<*> To visit your group on the web, go
  to:     <A
  href="">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amibroker/<*>
  <A
  href="">amibroker-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<*>
  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:     <A
  href="">http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Click Here