From: "bistrader" <bisteele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2004 10:53 PM
Subject: [amibroker] Two Memory / Cache Questions for AmiBroker

I am downloading with my Laptop and am getting a message regarding
low virtual memory.  Window 2000 seems to take over and assign more
memory some how.  I never get this message with my desktop.  I have
In-memory cache at the default of 4466.

QUESTION 1:  Is there a recommended setting for different PC memory
levels?

Here is some more information to better understand what is going on.

I am using my Laptop to download Yahoo stock data for over 7 thousand
tickers.  I sent my Desktop PC in for repair and am using my Laptop
until the desktop is returned.  The desktop is 1.8 Mhz with 512 in
memory. The Laptop is 1.8 Mhz with 256 memory.  Both PCs use Windows
2000.  I have downloaded with my desktop for many months with no
problems.

I deleted a number of directories from the Laptop – to clean it up –
and it started to run slower.  I ran Norton (a current version with
all updates) and all is ok.  The Laptop recommended that I defrag it
and I did so. I got a message that I have a fragmented file
\winnt\shelliconcache.

QUESTION 2: Do I need to correct this \winnt\shelliconcashe item and
if so, then how?

Help is appreciated.

Bert