  >From:
  Paul Ho

  To: <A title=amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  href="">amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Sunday, January 18, 2004 8:46
  PM
  Subject: RE: [amibroker] Re: Question on
  Position Score ranking

  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>Al,
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>random() generates number between 0 and 1 and in order to be effective,
  you'll have to normalise your volume or even better still express it in terms
  of standard deviation such as applying bollinger bands to it. so the volume
  number is within the same kind of range. otherwise, a nominally higher volume
  stock will have too much bias.
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>Paul.

    <FONT
    face=Tahoma size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Al Venosa
    [mailto:advenosa@xxxxxxxxxxxx] Sent: Monday, 19 January 2004
    11:48 AMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: Re:
    [amibroker] Re: Question on Position Score
    rankingHmm. What an interesting idea. So, in my
    case, my positionscore line wouldbe:PositionScore =
    Random()*V;Thanks for the tip. At least I can evaluate how good the
    ranking system isworking. But in order to actually select the second 5
    top stocks, I guess Istill have to use the Osaka plugin as Fred pointed
    out.Thanks a lot, Thelunit.Al V.-----
    Original Message ----- From: "thelunit"
    <thelunit@xxxxxxxxx>To: <amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>Sent:
    Sunday, January 18, 2004 7:08 PMSubject: [amibroker] Re: Question on
    Position Score ranking> >>or maybe I just want to see
    how well my ranking formula picks winners)>
    <<>>> Here's one idea..>> I was
    interested in considering the effectiveness of my
    'PositionScore'specification a little while back.>> What I
    did was run repeated dummy optimizations with random ranking to>
    generate a distribution of system stats against which I ccould compare
    thestats produced by my non-random PositionScore (in your case for eg,
    V).>> These lines give the 'null' reference
    distribution:>> PositionScore = Random();> dummyopt =
    Optimize("dummyopt", 1, 1, reps, 1); // reps = your
    preference>> Best>>>> --- In
    amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Al Venosa" <advenosa@xxxx> wrote:>
    > Hi, all:> >> > I have a question on positionscore
    in regular mode. Suppose I'm tradingfrom a watchlist of, say, 100 stocks
    (like the N100, for examplem, but itcan be anything) and my portfolio
    size is 5 stocks (positionsize= -100/posqty, where posqty = 5). And
    suppose I want to select the highestvolume stocks to trade,
    like:> >> > PositionScore = V;> >> >
    Now, my question is, what if I wanted to trade, not the TOP 5 stocks
    onthe rank list (stocks with rankings of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th in
    termsof volume), but rather the next 5 stocks (ranks of 6th, 7th, 8th,
    9th, and10th). My reasons for wanting to do this are not important
    (maybe I don'twant to compete for the same 5 stocks as another guy who
    uses the sameranking formula, or maybe I just want to see how well my
    ranking formulapicks winners). How would you code that? Any
    ideas?> >> > Thanks.> >> > Al
    Venosa> > advenosa@xxxx>>>> Send BUG
    REPORTS to bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Send SUGGESTIONS to
    suggest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    Groups is subject to:>  <A
    href="">http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>>---Outgoing
    mail is certified Virus Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system (<A
    href="">http://www.grisoft.com).Version:
    6.0.561 / Virus Database: 353 - Release Date:
    1/13/2004Send BUG REPORTS to
    bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxSend SUGGESTIONS to
    <A
    group FAQ at: <A

      To visit your group on the web, go to:<A
      href="">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amibroker/

      To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:<A
      href="">amibroker-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

      href="">Yahoo! Terms of Service.